How to stop internal Management Team being automatically added as a CRM contact

robanders
I have come across a challenging product issue that you may be able to help with.

Given that I have sidekick installed, with many mails being logged/tracked, I note that both my self and co-founder (The 2 Company Directors), keep being added to the CRM even if not requested. I'm assuming this is because we are cc'd on certain tracked mails.

I have deleted us a number of times and then notice we're back in the contacts database.

This is a concern as there are a number of our emails with sensitive information which are then showing up in CRM 

How can we ensure that we are never added as Contacts (only as Users)?
Thanks
Rob
9 Replies 9
edjusten
HubSpot Employee

Hi @robanders  The CRM won't create a new contact if the receiving email domain is the same as sending domain. However, if your management team addresses are different then the domain you are sending from, then new contacts will be created. 

The Sales extension is designed for direct 1:1 communication with your prospects and contacts; if you CC a third party not in your database, it will add the person as a new contact, much like it will add as a new contact any prospect not alredy in your database, when you send the new prospect an email. 

Ed

Ed

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
robanders

Hi Ed

Thanks for the mail - seems we are getting somewhere...

Especially now that I realised I can add additional email aliases to my account.

However, I can not manage to set other alisases for other users? Even as admin.

Must they each add themselves?

Thanks

R

0 Upvotes
sYbb

Hi Edjusten,

unfortunately I must say that the mentioned thing does not work. The system does still create contacts which are actually CRM-users although all have registered their aliases, or I even send to their main address (@domain.com).

So the following of your official article does not apply: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/email/how-to-log-your-email-in-the-crm-using-hubs...

"Also, to prevent tracking of internal emails between you and your colleagues, the CRM will not log emails sent between you and other contacts that match your email domain."

What else can I do to force the system NOT tracking any emails being sent from a team-user or its aliases? Can you have a look at our configuration? Maybe as a side-note: We used .eu-domain before which also was the domain we created the hubspot-account with. Meanwhile we switched to .com and changed the main-domain in settings, as well as added all possible domain-aliases.

Thanks a lot,

Stefan

tim1468
Top Contributor

yes same it all time creates contact from compagny and show private exchange between user in the CRM! this must be changed

AlfredoVoodoo
Participant

It's even worse than that. If a tracked document is opened by a member of our team it adds them back in a contact every time they click on it, even though they have been deleted. Spoke to HS support and they said they are aware of the issue but there's currently no workaround

rmuser123
Participant

I agree! I hit a wall with being able to use this with my team at all because it tracks management emails into a company record every time. HR email, leadership team, everything..... VERY bad.

0 Upvotes
mikeengage
Participant

Same problem here - colleagues who are on the same domain as I are always added as contacts. Very frustrating 

jennysowyrda
Community Manager

Hi @mikeengage,

I wanted to share the never log functionality with you which enables you to add domains or email addresses that you do not want added as contacts in your account.

Thank you,
Jenny

mikeengage
Participant

Thanks Jenny - I've just set that up so hopefully it will resolve the issue. Thanks for the swift response. Mike

0 Upvotes