How to set default value for custom contact properties

Highlighted
Visitor

Hello everyone, this is my first reachout to the community.

Situation:

I created a custom contact property (verificationstatus) answering if and how the contact got verified.

Verificationstatus

o not verified

o email verified

o phone verified

o creditcard verified

Question:

How can i set a default value for "property: verificationstatus" to "not verified"?

Thank you for helping out.

Cheers Thomas

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
HubSpot Employee

Hi @Thomas_Dataloft,

You should be able to set the default values for your properties inc. custom properties by following the steps in this article. In short you simple do the following:

1. Click on the settings icon in the top right of the toolbar
  2. Click on "Website"
  3. Click on "Pages"
  4. Click on the "Personalization" tab

You should see something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 9.46.23 AM.png

I hope this helps,

Jack

Jack Coldrick
Solutions Engineer @ HubSpot
Add me on LinkedIn
0 Upvotes
Visitor

Hy @jackcoldrick 

Thank you for the fast response. I tried quickly and it did not work for existing contacts.

I guess it will only work for new created contacts? If thaats the case: we can also solve it by adding the information to our registration api information list which would also set the value of the propterty to not verified when creating a contact.

Feel like thats the way to go. 

Thank you

0 Upvotes
HubSpot Employee

Hi @Thomas_Dataloft,

No problem at all - In my original post I was focusing more on setting default property values/fallback value for the purposes of personalization. In otherwords if a contact has no value then we will show a default/fallback.

One option would be to include it when you create the contact via your API request. Another would be to use a workflow that would enroll contacts who have no value for this property and set accordingly.

Does that make sense?

Jack

Jack Coldrick
Solutions Engineer @ HubSpot
Add me on LinkedIn
0 Upvotes
Visitor

Hi @jackcoldrick 

Yes totally got what youre saying. We just decided on solving it via the API (Creation of contact) which will Create the Contact aswell as setting the contact property to "verificationstatus" - No.

Thank you for helping out.