CRM

NSScott
Contributor

How to send an email to only ONE associated contact on a deal record and not multiple

Hi there, 

We have an integration in place with the CRM where every time there is a sales inquiry on our external site, we auto-create this inquiry as a deal in HubSpot. 

Part of the deal creation process is the assigning of contacts. We assign two contacts to the deal.

• The first contact is classified as a "customer"
  • The second contact we classify as "a provider"

Now, I'd like to trigger off a deal-based email to only send to ONE of the two assigned contacts. The "customer" contact.

I tried to exclude the email from being sent to the "provider" contacts by adding a rule to only send email is user type = "customer".

• Problem: The email is still being sent to BOTH assigned contacts on the deal.

deal based workflow issue.png

Anyone know how to only send an email to only ONE associated contact on a deal record?

6 Replies 6
thesiti92
Participant

How to send an email to only ONE associated contact on a deal record and not multiple

Any updates here? workflows seem to have pretty limited capabilities when it comes to object associations.

Levi
Top Contributor | Elite Partner
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

And what's going on as 1 contacts has serveral deals at the same time (same of different pipeline)? 

Bureau Vet

Did my post solve your question? Help the community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
benjamin_b
Participant

Hi @NSScott , I had a similar issue and found a workaround.

benjamin_b_0-1606987525127.png

Basically you need the logic to work like this:

1. Create a custom field 'automations' on the contact level

2. Create a deal workflow that when a deal does something / has the qualities you want (e.g. was created) then it updates the 'automations' field on all associated contacts. (e.g. newdeal). Think of this as the 'trigger' workflow.

2B. Make workflow wait 1 minute, then clear the automation field on all associated contacts

2C. You can also use this workflow to copy and paste into the contact level all the associated information from a deal, if you need to reference that on the contact level.

3. Create a new contact workflow with a manual enrollment. If enrolled, make the action that it filters contacts with if/then, if the contact type = customer, then proceed with the email. if not, do nothing. This is your 'action' workflow.

This is where you can use contact tokens in your marketing emails etc.

4. Create a contact workflow that triggers once the 'automation' field is known, that allows re-enrollment

Filter with an if/then that says 'IF newdeal" then enroll into the workflow you created on 3.

You'll probably want to use this workflow multiple times for different situations, so I call this workflow a 'Router' workflow. Later, you can use deals to trigger the automation field to update to something else, which signals your router to add the contacts to another workflow that does the actual heavy lifting.

I hope that helps! It is a little bit to wrap one's head around but I think you'll notice in the end it is pretty simple: trigger, router, action workflows.

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @NSScott 

Would this be a Deal workflow? If so that would be an expected behavior since it will search for all the contacts associated to the deal, if the deal has 2 contacts associated, it will send the email to all the contacts associated.

What can be done is to create a workflow based in contacts, so only one of the contact is enrolled in the workflow rather than the deal and you will need to base in one property that only one contact has.

I will be tagging some of our top contributors that can help with this question, @ConnorSlivensky  , @MFrankJohnson  @JonStanis would you please give @NSScott  your opinions about her question?

I hope this helps.

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
NSScott
Contributor

Thanks Pam. 

I want to include deal tokens/properties into the email copy therefore, I cannot set up the workflow as a contact-based one. Unless I'm missing something?

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @NSScott 

At the moment it is not possible to use deal tokens in a contact workflow.

As a workaround you can create a deal workflow that will copy the property into a contact property so you are able to use the contact token in the workflow.

copy propertycopy property

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !