CRM

liamkelman
Contributor

How to revert a closed lost lead to the start of the lifecycle stages

SOLVE

Hi there,

Can someone please advise what to do with a lead that is closed lost in terms of lifecycle stage.

It would be good to revert this lead back to the stage of the stages but workflows won't allow the lead to go back.

Best

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Mike_Eastwood
Solution
Key Advisor | Gold Partner

SOLVE

Hi @liamkelman 

Lifecycle Stage is designed to work in one direction only.

So, to apply an earlier Lifecycle Stage you will need to clear the Property, then set it to the Lifecycle Stage you want.

Have fun

Mike

Here to learn more about HubSpot and share my HubSpot Knowledge. I'm the founder of Webalite a HubSpot Partner Agency based in Wellington, New Zealand and the founder of Portal-iQ the world's first automated HubSpot Portal Audit that helps you work smarter with HubSpot.

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @liamkelman,

There are different philosophies on this.

• You could keep the contact in whatever lifecycle stage they are, arguing that it tracks how far a contact / company has gotten. By filling a custom disqualification reason field, you could easily find and identify these contacts.
  • You could move the contact to the lifecycle stage 'Other' which comes after customer and is a catch-all and would mark the contact as not relevant to the purchase process anymore. This would only make sense if you don't expect the contact to return and re-enter the buyer's journey. All conversion rates in funnel reports would remain intact here.
  • You could clear the lifecycle stage field and reset it to an earlier stage, e.g. 'Lead'. Keep in mind that all lifecycle stage dates will be reset and the information about the contact moving through lifecycle stages will also be removed from funnel reports and the conversion rates shown in funnel reports. To reset the lifecycle stage, you need to use the 'Clear property value' workflow action.

Like @Mike_Eastwood, I'd strongly recommend the first option. You'll lose a lot of information in reporting otherwise and, as explained above, there are plenty of options to keep track of lost opportunities, via a disqualification field, a closed lost reason field etc.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @liamkelman,

There are different philosophies on this.

• You could keep the contact in whatever lifecycle stage they are, arguing that it tracks how far a contact / company has gotten. By filling a custom disqualification reason field, you could easily find and identify these contacts.
  • You could move the contact to the lifecycle stage 'Other' which comes after customer and is a catch-all and would mark the contact as not relevant to the purchase process anymore. This would only make sense if you don't expect the contact to return and re-enter the buyer's journey. All conversion rates in funnel reports would remain intact here.
  • You could clear the lifecycle stage field and reset it to an earlier stage, e.g. 'Lead'. Keep in mind that all lifecycle stage dates will be reset and the information about the contact moving through lifecycle stages will also be removed from funnel reports and the conversion rates shown in funnel reports. To reset the lifecycle stage, you need to use the 'Clear property value' workflow action.

Like @Mike_Eastwood, I'd strongly recommend the first option. You'll lose a lot of information in reporting otherwise and, as explained above, there are plenty of options to keep track of lost opportunities, via a disqualification field, a closed lost reason field etc.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Mike_Eastwood
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @liamkelman 

Lifecycle Stage is designed to work in one direction only.

So, to apply an earlier Lifecycle Stage you will need to clear the Property, then set it to the Lifecycle Stage you want.

Have fun

Mike

Here to learn more about HubSpot and share my HubSpot Knowledge. I'm the founder of Webalite a HubSpot Partner Agency based in Wellington, New Zealand and the founder of Portal-iQ the world's first automated HubSpot Portal Audit that helps you work smarter with HubSpot.