CRM

SleLasseur

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

Hello,

There ae many posts with this title but none are mentionning my situation.

I need to link the contact of an assistant to her/his boss.

How to do that please?

Thanks

2 Accepted solutions
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

Hi @SleLasseur,

It's currently not possible to link two contacts. Contacts are an object and can be linked to other objects (companies, deals, tickets), but not among each other.

There is workaround if you need to let users know that the contact record they're looking at (boss) is associated with another contact record (assistant). You can add a note on each record and insert the URL to the other record before pinning the note. If someone accesses the boss's record now, they'd see the link to the assistant's record and vice versa.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

Hi @SleLasseur and everyone,

Great news, this is now a public beta:

Tickets | Custom Objects | Contacts | Deals | Companies

[Public Beta] Associate Records of the Same Object Type

Oct 18, 2023

What is it?

Same object associations give customers the ability to associate a CRM record to another record of the same object type e.g. a contact to a contact or a deal to a deal. These new associations are available for contacts, companies, deals, tickets and custom objects and can be leveraged across core HubSpot tools. Watch a short video on how this works.

Why does it matter?

Customers want HubSpot to reflect the reality of their business; this often includes a web of contacts or a collection of related companies. Without the ability to connect contacts to contacts, companies to companies and other objects to their same type, customers have been missing key relationships in HubSpot.

How does it work?

Users can now create associations between records of the same type for contacts, companies, deals, tickets and custom objects. On each record, you’ll see a new section in the right sidebar which reflects the type of record you’re on e.g. you’ll see a contacts section while on a contact record.

Customers with at least one Pro or Enterprise subscription can also create either a single label which is the same in both directions e.g. two contacts have the label colleague or a pair of labels representing two sides of a specific relationship e.g. student and teacher. When applying labels, you’re able to preview the application of the labels to ensure it’s correct before creating a new associations.

Same object associations can be leveraged in the following features:

• Calculated properties
  • Custom Report Builder
  • Import
  • Index Pages
  • Lists
  • Records
  • Workflows

Who gets it?

All hubs and tiers can create associations between records of the same object type (with custom objects being available to enterprise tiers only). Labels are only available to Pro+ customers as well as in custom report builder and workflow support.

You can find this beta here:

karstenkoehler_4-1697690365566.png

Have a great day everyone!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

Great news, this is now a public beta:

Tickets | Custom Objects | Contacts | Deals | Companies

[Public Beta] Associate Records of the Same Object Type

Oct 18, 2023

What is it?

Same object associations give customers the ability to associate a CRM record to another record of the same object type e.g. a contact to a contact or a deal to a deal. These new associations are available for contacts, companies, deals, tickets and custom objects and can be leveraged across core HubSpot tools. Watch a short video on how this works.

Why does it matter?

Customers want HubSpot to reflect the reality of their business; this often includes a web of contacts or a collection of related companies. Without the ability to connect contacts to contacts, companies to companies and other objects to their same type, customers have been missing key relationships in HubSpot.

How does it work?

Users can now create associations between records of the same type for contacts, companies, deals, tickets and custom objects. On each record, you’ll see a new section in the right sidebar which reflects the type of record you’re on e.g. you’ll see a contacts section while on a contact record.

Customers with at least one Pro or Enterprise subscription can also create either a single label which is the same in both directions e.g. two contacts have the label colleague or a pair of labels representing two sides of a specific relationship e.g. student and teacher. When applying labels, you’re able to preview the application of the labels to ensure it’s correct before creating a new associations.

Same object associations can be leveraged in the following features:

• Calculated properties
  • Custom Report Builder
  • Import
  • Index Pages
  • Lists
  • Records
  • Workflows

Who gets it?

All hubs and tiers can create associations between records of the same object type (with custom objects being available to enterprise tiers only). Labels are only available to Pro+ customers as well as in custom report builder and workflow support.

You can find this beta here:

karstenkoehler_4-1697690365566.png

Have a great day everyone!

Karsten Köhler

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

Quick update: There's a beta for this 🙂 https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/associate-records-of-the-same-object-beta

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

SPatel119
Participant

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler 

Great to hear there is a beta - though I can't find this in the beta list nor can I see that this is already available in my portal. Any knowledge of how / where to subscribe to this? 

TonyMeyer
Participant

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

Yes!!!!!!!! Any idea when it's available to all, @karstenkoehler ?

BZA727
Participant

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

Whattt??? No Way! That was literally my first post EVER on anything like this. I read them all the time when I'm looking for something but have never actually posted a single message. And about 15 minutes after I do (and then figure it is what it is, it's just not gonna happen, time move on with my life), you post the first "something might actually be happening now" post EVER on this topic. Must be my lucky day! lmaoooo 
Thank you so much for the dash of hope! 

BZA727
Participant

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

ASSOCIATING CONTACTS STILL NOT A THING... 🙄

Looks like it's been over 2 1/2 years since the original post and many people have very strongly requested this feature. What's the hold up? HubSpot is so advanced and does so many awesome things. It can literally already associate DIFFERENT types of data, and all we're asking is to be able to associate the SAME type of data... I am so confused. Is this going to happen or not? Just shoot us straight and put us out of our misery! lol 

0 Upvotes
PatH2
Participant

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

Wondering if there's anything new in development for this? This is probably the biggest feature needed holding us back from just using hubspot as our CRM. 

SEllis-Smith
Participant

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

I have the same question. And sadly, we've already commited to Hubspot and it never occured to us that this essential feature would be missing. #buyersremorse

0 Upvotes
angelonodari
Participant

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

Is it possible to reopen this request? 

A workaround is not a real solution 😞

thanks

Angelo

HelmutFedder
Participant

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

20% of our deals are referrals from other customers.
80% of our customers are in teams that have a leadership structure that you would like to know and log in hubspot.

Being able to link contacts, preferably with an optional description of the relation ship is indeed a highly desired feature.

TonyMeyer
Participant

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

Absolutely agree with this.  We do A LOT of residential work where I need to associate two contacts, husband and wife, for the same Deal.  @karstenkoehler where can I request this feature added?

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

Hi @SleLasseur,

When you navigate to a contact record (where you can see the timeline), just copy the URL from the address bar in your browser. (Or right-click on a contact under Menu > Contacts > Contacts and copy the link.)

Let me know if that works for you!

Karsten Köhler

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

Hi @SleLasseur,

It's currently not possible to link two contacts. Contacts are an object and can be linked to other objects (companies, deals, tickets), but not among each other.

There is workaround if you need to let users know that the contact record they're looking at (boss) is associated with another contact record (assistant). You can add a note on each record and insert the URL to the other record before pinning the note. If someone accesses the boss's record now, they'd see the link to the assistant's record and vice versa.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

SleLasseur

How to link 2 contacts

SOLVE

Hello,

Thanks for this solution which could work well. How to find the URL of each contact?