CRM

royrichard
Participant

How to keep the mass update contact lifecycle stage?

SOLVE

I just set up the account and tried import all the contacts from my old CRM. However, though mapped the contact fields properly, Hubspot didn't update lifecycle stage properly for my contacts, so I have to manually update them.

However, I found this unpleasant since after I mass updated lifecycle stage for the chosen contacts, the stage was automatically changed back to the original imported value after 3 seconds. So the only way for me to change the lifecycle value is to click the detail of all the contacts individually and change the lifecycle in the detail page then save it. There's like hundreds of contacts so I felt this kind of a waste of time.

Is there a way for me to keep my updated lifecycle stage when mass update? I wonder if the automatic rollback is anything to do with auto workflow.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted solution
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @royrichard. When the lifecycle stage value reverts, is it because the value is moving 'backwards' through the funnel? This help article describes this native behavior (moving forwards should be successful, moving backwards should not, unless you've taken the steps outlined in that article).

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @royrichard. When the lifecycle stage value reverts, is it because the value is moving 'backwards' through the funnel? This help article describes this native behavior (moving forwards should be successful, moving backwards should not, unless you've taken the steps outlined in that article).

0 Upvotes
royrichard
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @bradmin,

Thanks for the suggestion, I did try to move backwards through the funnel because I realised that I can't edit life stage options but the current stage of most of my contacts doesn't fit in the options other than "other". So when I import, I set their life stage as "other", without realising that's the top stage of the funnel.

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

I've done the same thing before, and it's absolutely frustrating. I'm sure you've realized this by now, but with a few extra steps, you can get better control over your imported lifecycle stage changes: 

1) Import an email-only .csv of the contacts you want to update. This creates a static list of all its contacts.

2) Use this static list to kick off a HubSpot workflow. The workflow, for everyone on the list, clears out the lifecycle stage then sets it to the desired value.

3) [Optionally] Delete the static list and workflow after the job is complete. 

This approach won't scale well if you have a list of contacts with varying values, but could give you the control you're looking for, when you have a large list of contacts needing to be changed to the same lifecycle stage value. 

0 Upvotes
BlueJaySocial
Participant

SOLVE

Hi

This is similar to the problem I am having - I posted under 'Filter / Sort issue'.

As you'll see if you check out that post and reply, I've now created customised Company property fields. Within my entire contact list I have two options (it's a drop-down list) - I need to mass-tag 95% of them to one of those options and 5% to the other option. I do not want to go through manually to amend the property setting for each contact.

What's the way to do this?

Many thanks

0 Upvotes