CRM

tverdokhlib1
Top Contributor | Partner
Top Contributor | Partner

How to import separate values and avoid duplicates

SOLVE

Hey,

We have 80+K Contacts in CRM and I need to update around 9000 contacts from the CSV file. This CSV file includes contacts from another software, that must be imported into HubSpot.

Some of these contacts are already in HubSpot, and I just want to update one property "Product" of these contacts. 

The difficulty is that some Contacts may have slight differences in their Names, and also I'm afraid that when I update the properties of the existing contacts via CSV import, some analytics of the existing HubSpot contacts might be lost. 

Have somebody faced such an issue before?

Anton Tverdokhlib,
HubSpot Expert | RevOps & CRM & Automation Consultant

2 Accepted solutions
SNigam
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hello @tverdokhlib1 ,

If you have an email id of those contacts in csv and in hubspot also then I have one workaround. 

So, I suggest to first export your contacts from HubSpot with email id prop. and then using vlookup with your csv(if you can convert it to excel) and find out the existing ones and then you import easily and the moment you are going to import there is an option like below -

SNigam_0-1690544893355.png

Here you need to choose the first option. 

I think this will help.

Thank you 

Shubham Nigam

View solution in original post

franksteiner79
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @tverdokhlib1 

HubSpot uses two unique identifiers, email or contact ID.

If you are confident enough that emails are correct, you simply import the emails and the "product" property. This will update the existing contact with just the product property.

Most analytics properties can't be imported or overwritten as they are set by HubSpot. As a simple rule, if you don't import a value HubSpot won't overwrite it.

One thing to keep in mind is what property field type the "product" property is checkbox or multiple select/dropdown and if it is okay for existing values to be overwritten or if you just want to append new values you will need to add a semicolon to the value in your import file.

Hope that helps.

Frank

Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

Marketeer | HubSpot Expert | CRM Consultant

InboundPro

Let's Talk About Your Project

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
franksteiner79
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @tverdokhlib1 

HubSpot uses two unique identifiers, email or contact ID.

If you are confident enough that emails are correct, you simply import the emails and the "product" property. This will update the existing contact with just the product property.

Most analytics properties can't be imported or overwritten as they are set by HubSpot. As a simple rule, if you don't import a value HubSpot won't overwrite it.

One thing to keep in mind is what property field type the "product" property is checkbox or multiple select/dropdown and if it is okay for existing values to be overwritten or if you just want to append new values you will need to add a semicolon to the value in your import file.

Hope that helps.

Frank

Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

Marketeer | HubSpot Expert | CRM Consultant

InboundPro

Let's Talk About Your Project
SNigam
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hello @tverdokhlib1 ,

If you have an email id of those contacts in csv and in hubspot also then I have one workaround. 

So, I suggest to first export your contacts from HubSpot with email id prop. and then using vlookup with your csv(if you can convert it to excel) and find out the existing ones and then you import easily and the moment you are going to import there is an option like below -

SNigam_0-1690544893355.png

Here you need to choose the first option. 

I think this will help.

Thank you 

Shubham Nigam