CRM

VSowden

How to import blank fields without receiving an error message

SOLVE

I've recently set up Hubspot for my organisation and need to import all of our contacts into the CRM. We have many different kinds of contact, but since we are a very small charity and are limited to Hubspot Starter, we do not have access to the higher-level features that allow you to create and segment different types of contacts. This has created the issue of properties applying to some contacts and not to others, hence when I am importing data there will be some fields for some contacts that are blank. When I've practiced dummy imports blank fields always register as an error, but for us it is intentional. Is there something I can put into the blank cells to have them not register as errors while importing but also to show up blank in the CRM?

As an example, two properties are 'Date of Trainer Training' and 'Date of Trainer Reaccreditation'. These properties only apply to individuals who have had a certain level of training from us, so will not apply to all contacts but will appear on all contact records.

If this is unavoidable and I just need to ignore the error message that is fine, it would just be good to know if there are any ways around it!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @VSowden,

You should be able to import records with empty fields. Could you share the exact error message that you're seeing in the errors file please? This would help with troubleshooting.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @VSowden,

You should be able to import records with empty fields. Could you share the exact error message that you're seeing in the errors file please? This would help with troubleshooting.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
VSowden

SOLVE

Hello @karstenkoehler,

Thank you for your response. I've had another go at a dummy import after reading your message and it seems to all be working perfectly fine just leaving the fields blank. It was likely my own error previously as I am on a very big learning curve setting everything up!

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

We've all been there, @VSowden 🙂 Glad it's resolved.

If you consider this thread closed, you can help others find this information by marking my post as a solution. I'd appreciate it!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes