CRM

AllyRRS
Contributor

How to import associated contacts into deals

SOLVE

Hi

I've updated my deals spreadsheet with the historical deals, but when I go to import it appears that Associated Contact (and the ID) are non-updatable fields. How do I import these easily without having to go into each deal on Hubspot and adding the people manually?

I can't actually see them listed as fields that are greyed out in the import page - normally you search for them and it will tell you you can't import that field, but neither of these fields are on there.

I'm using a spreadsheet which was an original download from Hubspot with my existing deals on and have updated that.

Many thanks.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @AllyRRS 

To associate contacts with deals you actually have to import them both at the same time. When doing so you need to meet these conditions:

1. You need a common field column which tells HubSpot which of the contacts being imported is associated with which deal(s)
  2. You need to unique ID for each contact and deal to ensure that duplicates are not created when importing

Follow the instructions here Import and associate multiple objects very carefully (do small test import first) and you should be fine. 

Hope this helps?

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13
LWiart1
Participant

SOLVE

Hi,

I know this thread is old, but I try anyway... 

I find it really cumbersome to do a several steps process to import a Deal with several contacts and/or products attached, and it can be error prone (when copying Deal IDs to a new spreadsheet to associate with several contacts or products, one per line).

Do you know if, by any chance, it is possible to import a single line Deal with 2 contacts and 2 products at once, such as :

Deal name | list of contact IDs | List of product IDs

My deal      |  182938;183623      | 198665; 178293

So the deal is created and links to the correct contacts and products are made in a single shot import ?

I know it is possible for properties that are multi-select (import semi-column separated values), but don't know if it works for "linking" different objects together

Thanks

0 Upvotes
AllyRRS
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi - it's taken me a while with one thing and another but I've just done a test, but it still won't create new deals. When I imported contacts (a long while ago when I first started using), it automatically created new Contact IDs. But when I try to import new deals it's not creating new Deal IDs. How do I do this please?

Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @AllyRRS 

To associate contacts with deals you actually have to import them both at the same time. When doing so you need to meet these conditions:

1. You need a common field column which tells HubSpot which of the contacts being imported is associated with which deal(s)
  2. You need to unique ID for each contact and deal to ensure that duplicates are not created when importing

Follow the instructions here Import and associate multiple objects very carefully (do small test import first) and you should be fine. 

Hope this helps?

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
CRoderigue
Contributor

SOLVE

Hey @Phil_Vallender I followed the knowledge base and your two steps, but I am still getting two deals that are being created based off this import (see screenshot). In this example, I have the "Company domain name" as the Unique ID, and I have "Association label" as the common column field with the deal name and contact names. Could you please steer me in the right direction? Thank you!

CRoderigue_0-1668506480139.png

0 Upvotes
SKluge
Contributor

SOLVE

@Phil_Vallender I think this is a close thread to what I am looking for as well.

I am looking to do a bulk import of multiple objects.  I have successfully imported a single Company, Deal and Contact which associates all 3 upon import.

Some of the Companies/Deals I am entering have multiple contact points which I would also like to associate with the deal and company.  How can I include more than 1 contact within this import while keeping the deal/company association?

Currently, if I add a new line, there will be a new company and new deal created, each one will have its own contact/company/deal.

Is this something that needs to be done after the initial import with the deal and company ID?

CCaffrey
Contributor

SOLVE

@SKluge I am trying to do this as well. Did you ever find a solution to this?

0 Upvotes
MLittle94

SOLVE

@SKluge / @CCaffrey - Was a solution found? I am struggling to find how to format a spreadsheet for importing multiple associated contacts and tickets to 1 deal.

0 Upvotes
CCaffrey
Contributor

SOLVE

I have just imported Company only as associated with the deal and not the Contact. I hadn't found a solution to date or attempted again recently.

0 Upvotes
mallory_prouty

SOLVE

I believe i've figured this out. When you are loading in additional information to associate with a deal or company, you have to use the Record ID for both the Deal and the Company (Associated Company ID) to properly align everything. The confusing part, though, is that you don't select Record ID in the "Property" column of the import. RECORD ID - DEAL/COMPANY/CONTACT are all their own "Import As" drop down! I hope this makes sense to some of you. Fingers crossed it actually loads my contacts in as associated with each designated company and deal!

0 Upvotes
mallory_prouty

SOLVE

IT WORKED!!

Once a deal or company is created, use the Deal ID and the Associated Company ID in their own columns in the import spreadsheet, and list each contact separately. You would import a multi file with deals, companies, and contacts (and notes too if you want) and it will all associate correctly. BOOM!

0 Upvotes
CCaffrey
Contributor

SOLVE
I don't recall this having worked for me in the past but I'll have to give
it another go. Is there not a way to associate Company and Contact ID's
for a brand new Deal import? Are these the steps you took to get it to work?
1. import the brand new Deal with a Company association
2. export the newly created Deal ID's
3. re-import with Deal ID and Contact ID associations?

Is that correct?
0 Upvotes
mallory_prouty

SOLVE

Yep! Except that my first load in for the deals was to create a single line item for each new deal, associated with a Company Name and Domain (that way they didn't duplicate and could connect up with existing company IDs and possibly contacts). I included as much information as i could about each deal, company, and individual contact for the first load in. THEN i exported the list of deals, grabbed the ID from each, and each line item with a new contact was each associated with the same ID for the company and deal.

The one thing i noticed, was that any existing notes on the company/contact/deal did not automatically associate with each of the new contacts, and i had to go into each deal to make sure they associated correctly. Emails will all naturally compile on the company page.

Hope it works better for you now! I was excited to get it to work after seeing that everyone else had trouble and i know this thread is old, i wanted to make sure to update in case it helps any of the past or future users. Good luck!

AllyRRS
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks so much. I'll have a look.