CRM

Dan1
Ratgeber/-in

How to handle renewals in your pipeline?

lösung

I work for a SAAS business and we have annual contracts. I have been struggling with the best way to handle renewals with a deal pipeline. At the moment I have a separate pipeline broken up into 1- 3 Months, 3-6 Months, 6-9 Months, 9-12 Months then won lost. When a successful renewal occurs we repeat the cycle. This feels like a real hack, does anyone know of a better solution? 

2 Akzeptierte Lösungen
FesAskari_SIC
Lösung
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

lösung

hi @roisinkirby@Dan1

We have two types of deals in our pipeline - net-new and renewals. 

For renewals, we still work to deal stages -  our Account Managers (AM) re-engage the account Decision Makers (DM) and work through the renewals process. This is managed by deal stages, rather than time periods. We are not SaaS providers but do sell HubSpot licenses as part of our agency agreements of course.

We have custom fields for contract start and end dates and then an internal trigger alert email for a renewal c. 90 days out.

Our internal email then kick-starts the account renewal engagement process. I only get involved if the AM can't manage the renewal or flags a potential issue. This was actually of more value when we worked to 12-month contracts as we have moved to 3-month project sprints and the AM is closer to the DM on a more regular basis. 

Do you think a call into the account is worthwhile to identify renewal issues early on, or to seek out upsell opportunities? A friendly chat can be worth its weight in gold! 

(P.S. I didn't see your question properly when I responded earlier)

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

kcooper
Lösung
Stratege/Strategin

lösung

We are also a SaaS business with annual contracts (or 3 year contracts), and we handle renewals much in the same vein as you... We have our Sales Pipeline and our Renewal Pipeline. It made sense for us to do that because the stages and weights didn't line up at all for our renewals. So the stages that we have are Renewal Anticipated (30%), Quote Acceptance (40%), Renewal Confirmed (70%), Verbal No (10%) and Closed Won and Closed Lost.  

Once a deal is Closed Won (either new business or a renewal) we create a deal right away for next year's renewal, and put it in Renewal Anticipated...where it will then sit till a quote is sent out 60-90 days in advance of the renewal, and once the customer acknowledges receipt of the quote we move it to Quote Acceptance. It moves to either Renewal Confirmed or Verbal No when they state that they will or will not be moving forward with the renewal, and then Closed Won or Closed Lost from there. It has worked very well for us so far. 

You can set up workflow to have a deal auto-created when one moves to Closed Won, but I found that using Zapier to set up a zap to create a new deal allowed me to create a more complete deal record than the workflow, so we do that to help automate the process...and to make sure that a renewal doesn't fall through the cracks because someone forgot to make next year's deal. 

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

22 Antworten
louischausse
Autorität | Platinum Partner

lösung

Unfortunately, that is not something that HubSpot can manage out-of-the-box.

That's why we've built a Recipe to handle that. A Recipe is a small process that you can install in your HubSpot portal. This doesn't require any third-party tool.

Here's a video of how it works:

louischausse_0-1705325129484.gif

Renewal deals are created automatically for each closed-won deals with a known contract end date. Then, a task is generated with a reminder date XX days before that contract end date to notify the deal owner (or another user of your choice) that the renewal is coming soon.

Other settings and configurations are also available to suit your use case.

If you are interested, we can have a chat to setup this recipe on your HubSpot portal.

Learn more here

Louis Chaussé from Auxilio HubSpot Solutions Partner Signature
Louis Chaussé from Auxilio HubSpot Solutions Partner Meeting link
0 Upvotes
zacharymosby
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

Good afternoon, 

I having been using hubspot for a while. And I constantly have to setup renewal. Could you work with me to have them automate. 

Thanks. 

louischausse

lösung

Hi @zacharymosby 

Of course, what are you trying to automate exactly? Deal creation, task to owner? And what is your trigger for automation? a end date? An action from client? or from user?

Do you have at least a pro hub in HubSpot so you can create automation Workflow.

Please give me more information and I will do my best to help!

Louis Chaussé from Auxilio HubSpot Solutions Partner Signature
Louis Chaussé from Auxilio HubSpot Solutions Partner Meeting link
0 Upvotes
Math
Mitglied

lösung

Hi,  My name is mathieu and i am setting up HubSpot for our slaes department.  i am very interested in the renewals questions as we have the same kind of problematic here.

Our contracts are 12 months long and processes for those contracts differs a lot from renewals...  

I am trying to set up the workflow you describe here : "Once a deal is Closed Won (either new business or a renewal) we create a deal right away for next year's renewal, and put it in Renewal Anticipated...where it will then sit till a quote is sent out 60-90 days in advance of the renewal, and once the customer acknowledges receipt of the quote we move it to Quote Acceptance. It moves to either Renewal Confirmed or Verbal No when they state that they will or will not be moving forward with the renewal, and then Closed Won or Closed Lost from there. It has worked very well for us so far. "

But I can find my way around it.  Would you mind sharing a screenshot  this workflow with me so I can set it up for us as well?   Kind regards,    Mathieu/      

0 Upvotes
FesAskari_SIC
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

lösung

Hi Mathieu, @Math

Some deal automation features are only available at certain license levels I believe. Do you have Pro or Enterprise HubSpot?

Math
Mitglied

lösung

Hi, 

Thank you for your answer.

We have a sales PRO account.

Mathieu

0 Upvotes
Samantha_Alford
Stratege/Strategin

lösung

Thanks for calling me in @roisinkirby and apologies for being so late to the party.  I'm not sure that I can add more than what @FesAskari_SIC and @kcooper have added to this post, as both are pretty well aligned with (and an improvement on) what we're doing for clients.  I'd love to hear more about how the Zap gives you better automation than the workflow for the creation of deals.

Samantha Alford
Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
kcooper
Stratege/Strategin

lösung

@Samantha_Alford I like the Zap better because it allows for me to pre-populate more fields.

Using the HubSpot workflow I can pre-populate Deal Name, HubSpot Owner, Pipeline, Deal Stage, Days to Close from Create Date, and Amount (a static amount for all deals). 

Using my Zap, I can pre-populate Deal Name, HubSpot Owner, Pipeline, Deal Stage, Deal Type (custom droplist field), Days to Close from Create Date, and Amount (the amount of the closed won deal I am replicating). 

It isn't a HUGE improvement, but hey - every little bit counts. 

vinitpatel
Mitglied

lösung

Hi, this sounds brilliant and just what I'm looking for. But I'm really struggling to create the Zap recipe. Is there any chance you could share your recipe on here or with me directly? You'd really help a brother out if you did! Thanks in advance

0 Upvotes
kcooper
Stratege/Strategin

lösung

@vinitpatel

Sure!

Trigger App = HubSpot CRM

HubSpot CRM Trigger = New Deal in Stage

HubSpot CRM Account = ...you will have to set yours there yourself...

Set up HubSpot CRM Deal = Pipeline = Renewal Pipeline, Stage = Closed Won (we have a separate pipeline for our renewals, which really helps to focus this Zap on only renewals)

Action App = HubSpot CRM

HubSpot CRM Action = Create Deal

HubSpot CRM Account = same as above account...

Edit Template = again you will have to do this yourself, but if you have difficulties feel free to ask

Tada!

kcooper
Lösung
Stratege/Strategin

lösung

We are also a SaaS business with annual contracts (or 3 year contracts), and we handle renewals much in the same vein as you... We have our Sales Pipeline and our Renewal Pipeline. It made sense for us to do that because the stages and weights didn't line up at all for our renewals. So the stages that we have are Renewal Anticipated (30%), Quote Acceptance (40%), Renewal Confirmed (70%), Verbal No (10%) and Closed Won and Closed Lost.  

Once a deal is Closed Won (either new business or a renewal) we create a deal right away for next year's renewal, and put it in Renewal Anticipated...where it will then sit till a quote is sent out 60-90 days in advance of the renewal, and once the customer acknowledges receipt of the quote we move it to Quote Acceptance. It moves to either Renewal Confirmed or Verbal No when they state that they will or will not be moving forward with the renewal, and then Closed Won or Closed Lost from there. It has worked very well for us so far. 

You can set up workflow to have a deal auto-created when one moves to Closed Won, but I found that using Zapier to set up a zap to create a new deal allowed me to create a more complete deal record than the workflow, so we do that to help automate the process...and to make sure that a renewal doesn't fall through the cracks because someone forgot to make next year's deal. 

fabiobernardino
Mitglied

lösung

Hi everyone,

I already created an automated workflow that creates a new deal with a "renewal" pipeline when a SaaS deal is set closed Won.

Is there any chance to have this new deal with the same product data?

i.e. Original deal has a software licence "ALPHA" that costs $99/year epiring on Dec 31st 2020.

I'd like the "renewal" deal to have the same "ALPHA" product with the same cost, expiring on Dec 31st 2021.

Thank you for help!!

jfd118
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

lösung

I really like this solution.   Unfortunately,  as a Starter subscriber I can't create custom pipelines.   Hopefully, some day I will . . . 

0 Upvotes
Dan1
Ratgeber/-in

lösung

@kcooper great shout on the zapier auto renewal, that will certainly help automate some of the process. 

0 Upvotes
FesAskari_SIC
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

lösung

Love the auto-renewal deal Zap here!

roisinkirby
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

lösung

@FesAskari_SIC@Samantha_Alford@kcooper is this something you have experience with?

Also tagging our Inbound Professor @KyleJepson who should have some insights to share on best practice use of deals. 

FesAskari_SIC
Lösung
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

lösung

hi @roisinkirby@Dan1

We have two types of deals in our pipeline - net-new and renewals. 

For renewals, we still work to deal stages -  our Account Managers (AM) re-engage the account Decision Makers (DM) and work through the renewals process. This is managed by deal stages, rather than time periods. We are not SaaS providers but do sell HubSpot licenses as part of our agency agreements of course.

We have custom fields for contract start and end dates and then an internal trigger alert email for a renewal c. 90 days out.

Our internal email then kick-starts the account renewal engagement process. I only get involved if the AM can't manage the renewal or flags a potential issue. This was actually of more value when we worked to 12-month contracts as we have moved to 3-month project sprints and the AM is closer to the DM on a more regular basis. 

Do you think a call into the account is worthwhile to identify renewal issues early on, or to seek out upsell opportunities? A friendly chat can be worth its weight in gold! 

(P.S. I didn't see your question properly when I responded earlier)

OurOfficeTeam
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

Yes definitely worth it.

0 Upvotes
JAnderson5
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

lösung

What deal stages are you using for the renewal pipeline?

0 Upvotes
Algendy
Mitglied

lösung

Hi @FesAskari_SIC 

What do in case if the deal has a portion for renewal and new product as well ? 

Regards, 

0 Upvotes