CRM

CMakolandra
Contributeur

How to handle contacts that are deceased

Résolue

We are curious how other companies are using HubSpot to mark contacts that are deceased. I've seen one HS Community post about creating values marking as such in Lead Status or Lifecycle stage, and then we can add that to our "Always Exclude List" that is used as an exlude list on emails. However, even if we do this, these people will get pulled in to receive marketing emails if we send it as transactional. 

Any input is appreciated!

0 Votes
1 Solution acceptée
karstenkoehler
Solution
Au panthéon de la communauté | Partenaire solutions

Résolue

Hi @CMakolandra,

I would recommend a single checkbox – the only thing you're going to filter for is "Yes" anyway, however, so again it wouldn't make a difference in this case.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

6 Réponses
karstenkoehler

Résolue

Hi @CMakolandra,

If your main concern is that transactional emails could be sent to these contacts, then there isn't any way around a manually created exclusion list that you use in all emails. Neither subscription status nor marketing contact status will prevent a send.

You would create a list that pulls in contacts based on their lifecycle stage, lead status or any custom property and exclude this list from every send. Alternatively, you would pin a note to the company record about the deceased contact and actually delete it from your CRM.

(I've requested account-wide exclusion lists for use cases like this one here.)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Votes
CMakolandra
Contributeur

Résolue

So we already have a list where we are excluding people to receive any emails and that is used on ALL emails, but I wasn't sure how people are marking them. For example - Lifecycle Stage = Deceased. But my assumption was correct that even if we add this criteria to our exclude list, then use that list for a transcational marketing email (which we only send once or twice year) it will still be sent to them?

0 Votes
karstenkoehler

Résolue

Hi @CMakolandra,

Unless the contact has bounced already, correct, the email would be sent.

I would probably use lifecycle stage 'Other' for this or a specific custom property ('Contact deceased' with y/n). But this is more personal preference than a discussion about best practice. It doesn't make a difference – whatever you find easiest.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Votes
CMakolandra
Contributeur

Résolue

yes, I think the custom property would work best. Do you see any benefits or downfalls of using a checkbox versus a drop down with y/n? I would only want to mark those as deceased as "y" and leave everyone else as blank.

0 Votes
karstenkoehler
Solution

Résolue

Hi @CMakolandra,

I would recommend a single checkbox – the only thing you're going to filter for is "Yes" anyway, however, so again it wouldn't make a difference in this case.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

CMakolandra
Contributeur

Résolue

Thank you so much Karsten! You've been such a great help!

0 Votes