CRM

samsilva

How to give/ restrict access to the contact lists for different departments in my company

SOLVE

Hi there,

How to give/ restrict access to the contact lists for different departments in my company? We don't want some departments to see all the contacts we have in Hubspot while giving access to some.

As an example let's say we have 70,000 contacts and have lists A, B, C D, and E.

We only want the team members in our sales department to access List A and B. They shouldn't be able to access to all 70, 000 contacts.

We tried changing the contact owner and then giving the "view only" option in object access, but this can't be done for the whole team and we believe there should be an easy way. Please let me know if you know how to get this done.

Thank you in advance!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

How to give/ restrict access to the contact lists for different departments in my company

SOLVE

Hi @samsilva,

Everyone but this one person would have to be assigned to a team in HubSpot and their contact view permissions set to "Team only".

The one person should not be in any of these teams, otherwise their team members can access what they can access – that's why it's called "Team only". If the two of us are in a team and our permissions are "Team only", I can see what you can see.

The last step would be to assign the contacts from this list to the one person. They are now visible to them but not to anyone with "Team only" permissions.

You need to make sure that everyone but this one person is either in a team and their permissions set to "Team only", alternatively to "Owned only".

It's not possible to approach this the other way around and tell HubSpot that certain contacts should only be visible / accessible by one person.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
DKaneswaran
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler 

We are in a similar situation, we have enterprise which states you can partition lists by teams in beta. Can we assign lists to certain teams similar to how we assign campaigns and other marketing assets to teams? This way when we select permissions team only in contacts, they will be able to view lists that are assigned to them only?

Thanks in advance,

David

partitioning hubspot link 

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @samsilva,

If you want a specific team to be able to access records, you need to select the "Teams only" permission for record view access. This is available in Professional and Enterprise subscriptions. In the free CRM or Starter subscriptions, this is not possible as far as I know. You would have to upgrade.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

samsilva

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler 

Thank you for the reply. Really appreciate it. We are currently on the Enterprise subscription but still can't find a way to customize the access settings for users. We were able to do this for email lists but the issue is for the contacts.

If you have an idea, please let me know the process!

Best Regards

Sam

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @samsilva,

Could you be a bit more specific? What have you tried? What exactly isn't working, where are you getting stuck?

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

samsilva

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler 

As I have mentioned in the initial message, we don't want give permission to every team member to access all our contacts in Hubspot.

We have 75,000+ contacts and 10 main departments. However, we don't need all the departments to access all our 75k+ contacts.

Each of these contacts has a 'contact classification' and we have created a number of lists according to the contact classification. We want some department members to access some of these lists, but not all the lists.

As an example, let's say we have created a list name "Victorian Customers" which contains 10,000 contacts, and we need to give permission to access these contacts to a team member in our 'Victorian Marketing Team' but he shouldn't be able to access any other contact. Just wondering how to do that. 

Hope that makes sense!

Best Regards

Sam

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @samsilva,

Everyone but this one person would have to be assigned to a team in HubSpot and their contact view permissions set to "Team only".

The one person should not be in any of these teams, otherwise their team members can access what they can access – that's why it's called "Team only". If the two of us are in a team and our permissions are "Team only", I can see what you can see.

The last step would be to assign the contacts from this list to the one person. They are now visible to them but not to anyone with "Team only" permissions.

You need to make sure that everyone but this one person is either in a team and their permissions set to "Team only", alternatively to "Owned only".

It's not possible to approach this the other way around and tell HubSpot that certain contacts should only be visible / accessible by one person.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler