CRM

confidentmac
Participant

How to filter records showing those with single checkbox unchecked

SOLVE

I created a single-checkbox field to indicate customers I've archived because I no longer work with them. I checked the box for one customer. Then I went to the contacts list and added a filter to show all contacts without the box checked.

However, HubSpot presents this field as a Yes/No option instead of a checkbox and it seems possible for a record to have neither Yes nor No selected. As such, the above filter reveals zero contacts because none of them have "No" chosen as the field value. No longer is this a checkbox but a Yes/No picklist.

How do I make this function as a checkbox?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @confidentmac

This does work a bit funny, not sure how other CRMs do it. A checkbox, in HubSpot at least, can be thought of as having yes, no, or null values. 

In order to build the view you want, you probably need to add the filter of checkbox value isn't any of Yes. This should return all No and Null contacts. 

Another way to run things would be to set the checkbox to No as default, using a workflow, and then only change it when archiving. 

Until set, all properties are Null.

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @confidentmac

This does work a bit funny, not sure how other CRMs do it. A checkbox, in HubSpot at least, can be thought of as having yes, no, or null values. 

In order to build the view you want, you probably need to add the filter of checkbox value isn't any of Yes. This should return all No and Null contacts. 

Another way to run things would be to set the checkbox to No as default, using a workflow, and then only change it when archiving. 

Until set, all properties are Null.

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
0 Upvotes
confidentmac
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks, Phil. From the standpoint of a yes/no picklist, which is what this is, that makes sense and I will act on it. I'll post to HubSpot Ideas that this field type should change because it is definitely not a checkbox.

From a UI standpoint, a checkbox has only true and false values. There is no null.