CRM

JMendez

How to ensure no blank Lead Sources?

SOLVE

Hello,

We are new to using Hubspot and would like to track Lead Sources in our Contacts page. 

JMendez_0-1626396269749.png

However we are having issues with blank lead sources. How do they end up blank and how can we ensure that they always have a lead source

Thanks in advance!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JMendez,

I'm not aware of any automatic population here, maybe the articles you read were referring to the Original source properties? These are, I would say, your best option (and generally the best option).

If you add this field as a hidden field to a form, you could select a default value. This default value would then be passed to the contact record with each submission. I wouldn't recommend this for source properties however, since subsequent submissions will overwrite the previous value and you'd not be looking at the source anymore, just the recent conversion.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JMendez,

I'm not aware of any automatic population here, maybe the articles you read were referring to the Original source properties? These are, I would say, your best option (and generally the best option).

If you add this field as a hidden field to a form, you could select a default value. This default value would then be passed to the contact record with each submission. I wouldn't recommend this for source properties however, since subsequent submissions will overwrite the previous value and you'd not be looking at the source anymore, just the recent conversion.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
JMendez

SOLVE

Thank you for this helpful information!

We were under the impression that when adding a Lead Source in our Forms, it would automatically populate.

For example, we added a default lead source to one of our forms here:

JMendez_0-1626535567243.png

Where does this data end up? I also read in one of those pages that it populates "upon conversion". What exactly does that mean? If it does not "convert", will it not populate?

Thanks again,

Joe

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JMendez,

The Lead source field is a field that is meant to be used as a hidden field in forms or to be updated manually – it doesn't populate automatically. (See this article on how to update the Lead source property.)

You're probably looking for the Original source and original source drill-down properties: Understand 'Original source drill-down' properties

These drill-downs provide more insight on their original source (i.e., the contact's first visit or interaction with your business). Their values vary depending on the Original source property. HubSpot populates these fields automatically. There aren't any contacts who do not have a value in these field.

You could change the columns in your contact view to show the original source instead of the lead source.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler