CRM

Alan_Mai

How to create contact list from company list?

SOLVE

Hi everybody, I'm trying to create a contact list from a company list I prepared outside from HubSpot and imported it.

What I have now is a saved filter for Companies but can't find where to get the contacts associated with those companies in order to create a new static list.

Thks,

Alan

1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Alan_Mai 

In the CRM using filters/views, you unfortunatly cant create a list of contact based on a list of companies, as the reports don't look across multiple objects like that. 

If you have the Marketing Hub and the lists tool, you can create a list of contacts based on company propoerties, but membership in your list of companies is not a company prroperty. 

The way to get around this is to use your list either to create and update a company property that signals inclusion and use this to create your contact list, or upload that information to the contacts directly. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16
cdhq_cpander
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi all,
currently the same question came up in our Team. - I assume there's still no possibility to filter via Contacts for list memberships from associated Companies?  As this thread is from 2019, probably there are new functionalities about that in the meanwhile available? 
Thank you & best regards,
Constantin

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @cdhq_cpander,

Thanks for reaching out! 

I wanted to refer you this related thread where @karstenkoehler offers a workaround. I would also encourage you to upvote this related idea

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
NPennington
Participant

SOLVE

This needs to happen. I work in financial services and we export company data regularly so that we can append data from our internal service, and then will want to run a campaign based on the company being part of an update.

This isn't currently possible unless you spam the system full of properties which is silly. The data is there, and you can connect it via reports, I don't know why you can't do this in lists.

PNagpal
Participant

SOLVE

Here is a very common use case (other CRMs support this) 

1. Upload a list of companies that are associated with a particular campaign or sales person. The companies may or may not already exist in HubSpot

2. Create a list of contacts that already exist in HubSpot and are assoicated with the companies uploaded. 

3. The only way to do that today is to create a workflow and change list membership for contacts from the company. The workflow requires that we enter in one company at a time in the list - which means the process is tedious, time consuming and error prone. 

A related use case would be filtering for all the contacts associated with a list of companies based on company owner.

Martin_Masse

SOLVE

I think that one option would be to create a workflow where a specific company property is copied to all contacts of that company.  I do that with a b2b membership concept.
Ex:  I added Member to Company Type and created a workflow that copies company type to contact type.

In your case, you could create a specific property ( ex: present at xx trade show: YES ) and copy that property to contact property.     You could then make a list of contacts that have that specific tag...

quite simple and quick.   you could clone that everytime you want to create a new contact list from company list...

Hope this helps..

EDIT:   property should exist in company AND contact to be able to copy it.

0 Upvotes
DarlaM
Participant

SOLVE

I agree with the recent posts, there should be an easy way to see the contacts within a list of companies, or the opposite, look at the companies from a list of contacts. Let me know if there is an idea for this too. 🙂

BigDaddyBear
Participant

SOLVE

Completely agree with @ACunnell above. I am in a similar situation. I have a list of companies, all with a common trait, but I also need a list of all the contacts associated to those companies. Is there not a way to do this within Hubspot? 

I can export and do this outside of Hubspot, but not all of our users can... and frankly, it's a pain!

Is there at least an idea suggested for this feature that I can upvote and track!?

ACunnell
Participant

SOLVE

I think I have a similar issue.

I have created a Deal property which enables be to record which of our Products the Deal relates to (lets say we have Product X and Product Y).

From this, I am able to create a two Company customer lists - one for Companies who subscribe to Product X and one for Companies who subscribe to Product Y.

What I now need to be able to do is create Contact lists for contacts who are in Comanies that subscribe to Proudct X, and contacts who are in Companies that subscribe to Product Y. I cannot create this directly usung the Deal property, because not all the contacts are asociated with the deal. What I want to do is create a list of Contacts based on whether their Company is a member of on of the customer lists.

Can I really not do this? It seems a huge flaw?

Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @Alan_Mai 

In the CRM using filters/views, you unfortunatly cant create a list of contact based on a list of companies, as the reports don't look across multiple objects like that. 

If you have the Marketing Hub and the lists tool, you can create a list of contacts based on company propoerties, but membership in your list of companies is not a company prroperty. 

The way to get around this is to use your list either to create and update a company property that signals inclusion and use this to create your contact list, or upload that information to the contacts directly. 

Hope this helps.

VCNguyen
Participant

SOLVE

Super helpful. I ended up creating a unique company property as a filter and generated a dynamic membership list pulling criteria from the company with those specific properties. Then used the membership list for the dashboard that I put together to track the movement of efforts associated with those specific companies. I wonder if the target accounts feature in hubspot would allow you to do the same without all the extra efforts.

0 Upvotes
CAraujo

SOLVE

Hi could you elaborate on how to create and update said company property? Because it would have to be all done from a contact list object, but there is no way to know whether the company associated with that contact is in the company list since you can't compare with a company list object.

0 Upvotes
DMoore9

SOLVE

Hi Phil, 

Am I missing something,  Are you saying you can't create a list of contacts for any given rep according to which companies are assinged to them?  I hope I am not misunderstanding what you're saying here because this seems like a pretty simple request that any CRM should be able to do.  

DMoore9

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender

SOLVE

Hi @DMoore9 

You can create a list of contacts based on contact owner, associated company owner, and a wide range of other contact and associated company properties.

What can't be done, from the above, is creating a list contacts based on company membership in a company list. 

Hope this helps.

ffeugas
Participant

SOLVE

"you can create a list of contacts based on company propoerties"

Hello, Ididn't find how to create a list including a company porperty as a filter..

It only allows me to use "contact properties" in the list screen.

What did I missed?

0 Upvotes
Alan_Mai

SOLVE

When you go to lists and press on Create list, you are given endless possibilities regarding properties of every object HubSpot handles (i.e.: deals, contacts and companies). 

Are you trying to creating that list through that button?

0 Upvotes
ffeugas
Participant

SOLVE

Mmm yep. Here is the screenshot (in french sorry). In the left column, the "filter type" are :

• contact properties
  • marketing emails
  • events
  • forms submissions
  • imports

2019-07-03_180520.png