CRM

cathalhopper
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

How to create a number of associated tickets property for Contacts and Companies

Requirements - Edit properties permissions + any of: 

Marketing Hub Professional, Enterprise
Sales Hub Professional, Enterprise
Service Hub Professional, Enterprise
CMS Hub  Professional, Enterprise

Hello everyone! 🙂 

My name is Cathal! I work in the HubSpot Support team in EMEA.

I saw a request in our ideas forum for an associated number of tickets filter (and additional filters) like what we have for deals, and found we can create this using calculated properties it's super straightforward to create!

I've also added a gif at the bottom of this post of creating the property; written steps below ⬇️

Creating the property (Contacts) :

1. Head to settings in your portal clicking the gear icon on the top right
  2. Navigate to properties on the left (may be under CRM > properties)
  3. Hit create property on the right
  4. Object type should be Contact, choose the most appropriate group for you, and label it appropriately for you - I suggest something like Number of associated Tickets - hit next
  5. Select Calculation in the field type dropdown and hit Build calculation
  6. Click the Calculated property type at the top and choose Count
  7. Under Choose the Associated record type choose Ticket
  8. Under the associated property dropdown choose Ticket ID (every ticket has one)
  9. Hit Create! 
  10. All done, if you head to a contact record now > view all properties on the left > search for your new number of associated tickets property > you'll see the number of associated tickets here!

From here you can use the property as you would with any other, such as filtering lists, using as part of HubSpot scoring, a contact token in an email, and so on!

Creating the property (Companies):

1. Almost the same as above, head to settings in your portal clicking the gear icon on the top right
  2. Navigate to properties on the left (may be under CRM > properties)
  3. Hit create property on the right
  4. Object type should be Company, choose the most appropriate group for you, and label it appropriately for you - I suggest something like Number of associated Tickets - hit next
  5. Select Calculation in the field type dropdown and hit Build calculation
  6. Click the Calculated property type at the top and choose Count
  7. Under Choose the Associated record type choose Ticket
  8. Under the associated property dropdown choose Ticket ID (every ticket has one)
  9. Hit Create! 
  10. All done, if you head to a company record now > view all properties on the left > search for your new number of associated tickets property > you'll see the number of associated tickets here!

The use case for the company property would be to get an idea of how many tickets a company has on a company wide level, and compare that alongside other metrics like MRR

createticketpropertyv2.gif

I still recommend heading to that idea, liking it, and commenting your use case, if you'd like to see default Ticket properties we can use with Contacts/Companies as we can for Deals!

Hopefully you find this helpful! 

Leave your comments, questions, thoughts, and tips and tricks for using the new property below!

Best,

Cathal 🙂

13 Replies 13
spoole
Participant

How to create a number of associated tickets property for Contacts and Companies

I'm trying to think of a way to calculate the number of associated tickets over a rolling date period. e.g. if company has had x number of tickets over the last 30 days flag this for investigation

0 Upvotes
DianaGomez
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @spoole, I hope you are doing well!

Since this questions is different from the exact topic here, I will recommend you create a new thread, so more people can see it. Make sure to add context, examples and all the details you can 🙂

Best,

Diana

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

lukecro
Participant

This is a great idea, thank you for the step-by-step instructions for setting it up.

Question: Will this work with time-filtering? I'm guessing not. I'm wondering how to solve for this related type of scenario:

Creating lists and reports based around how many tickets were created relative to a contact within a specific time period.

e.g., A contact might be associated with 20 tickets in all-time... But I only want to see how many tickets were created over, say, the last 30 days or last quarter.

For something like, say, surfacing all contacts owned by Sales Rep X that generated 2+ tickets in the last month; or seeing how many total tickets were associated with Sales Rep X this month.

JackieLalley
Contributor | Gold Partner

I'm working on a workaround for this that is related and might be a useful way to think about what you want to do - I want service reps to get an alert when a customer has used up their number of service tickets in a 30-day membership period. I'm creating the property as described above, adding "in past 30 days" to the property name, and using a workflow to reset it every 30 days, possibly a date property driven by the member's membership start date. For you, rather than resetting to 0, you could have the workflow copy the property value to another property value that is, # of tickets for a rep, etc. 

KatyaManges
Contributor | Platinum Partner

Hey Jackie! Were you able to figure out a way to get the property to reset? We're trying to do a similar thing where we want to count the number of marketing emails sent to a contact in the last 30 days. 

Wondering if you were able to solve for this issue!

0 Upvotes
JackieLalley

I believe we were successful:

(1) We created a property Number of Tickets [custom property > number > calculation, +1 every time Ticket ID is known]. That property cannot be cleared in a workflow because calculated properties cannot be changed via workflow, so:

(2) We created another property Number of Tickets 30 Days [custom property > number]. Set a workflow to populate that with the value in the property Number of Tickets. Set another workflow to set that value to 0 after a 30-day delay, 12 times to make this happen every 30 days for a year. [I believe you could have this happen ongoing with Ops Hub, using a workflow centered on a date property.] 

BKeszei10
Participant

Hi Jackie,

Your solution is very promising, I'd like to implement it to have a few property show the last 30/180/365 days tickets. What I don't see how did you triger the workflow that reset the property to 0 every 30/180/365 days. Could you help me on that?

Or anyone else?

0 Upvotes
KatyaManges

That 12 x piece was what I was missing thank you!

JackieLalley

Sure!

0 Upvotes
DianaGomez
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing, @JackieLalley😊

Best,

Diana

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
JackieLalley

You bet!

0 Upvotes
RSA
Participant | Elite Partner
Participant | Elite Partner

Very useful, thank you

natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for sharing this @cathalhopper !