CRM

JordanBlair
Mitglied

How to copy the name of a deal's "primary" company to a custom property?

We opted into the Beta where we can associate multiple companies to a deal and use the labels to differentiate between those orgs inside the Deal. However, we need to be able to differentiate between the "primary" company and the other associated companies by copying the value of the "primary" company name to a new custom field. Not being able to do so is creating two primary issues:

First, in the List view when multiple orgs are listed, it just shows the number of records (without highlighting over it) and does not show the labels (or which is the Primary org). Also when exporting, the column just lists all the orgs with no way to show the label or categorization of the orgs.   

Secondly, we send notifications via Slack to our team when a new deal is added to the pipeline. Because Company Name is a Company property and not a Deal property there is no way for us to include the name of org that the Deal is for in the Slack message, which seems like a significant gap that other HubSpot users have surely encountered. 

The logic behind copying the property does't work becuase you can't access "Associated Company" info from a Deal workflow and in a Company workflow you can filter by companies associated to deals with any company label EXCEPT "Primary" - which is exactly what we would need. The latter of which is pictured below - the four labels you see are the labels we set up. The "Primary" label is automatically set up by HubSpot.

JordanBlair_0-1638463600596.png

In summary, because company name is not a deal property and the workflow logic for copying comapny name is flawed,  we are unable to see the "primary" company in exports, in the deal card, or when we send an autmated Slack message to our Sales team telling them that a deal has been created or won. Does anyone know how to solve for this?
8 Antworten
Liliana_Reis
Teilnehmer/-in

I found a solution that I hope it will help someone, some day. So, i wanted my property "Deal Company Name" to be the same as "associated company". I created the following workflow: 

First, instead of creating a "Deal-based Workflow", I created a "Company-based workflow" saying that if my "company name" is known ("company name" is the property that you use to associate the company to the deal) , and is associated to any deal in specific pipelines (I used this because I wanted to do this only in some pipelines), than you can copy the property to "Company name" to "Deal company name". Not sure if this is the best way to do it, but it worked for me!

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 18.26.03.png

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 18.31.13.png

Let me know if my solution helped you! I hope so!

FMaher
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

The solution provided here doesn't work for me - because 'partner' companies associated with deals are not always marked as partners, just an additional company associated to the deal. I really need to identify the PRIMARY company only. I've ended up with a whole lot of deal notifications displaying the partner company name instead of the client company name.

0 Upvotes
JordanBlair
Mitglied

Hi @MandyDROS,

I still do not have access to a "company name" property when it is a deal workflow so that is very odd that you do have it when you are in the Beta. The "Primary Company" field is a custom (blank) field that I created to try to company name to. 

@mrapolla Below is the temporary solution I came up with. The goal is to copy the "company name" over to the "primary company" deal property I created. I did not want to copy the "company name" for companies that are labeled as something other than "primary company" for the deal. 

1. I have a company workflow that is triggered each time a new deal is associated to a company.
  2. Ideally I'd next be able to check to see if the company is labeled as the "primary company" but for some reason Hubspot doesn't give that to me as an option, they only allow me to use the custom labels I created. Because of that, I have to try to rule out a company that has a label that I created so I use an if then branch to seperate the companies that have a custom label I created and those that do not (i.e. that have a "primary company" label). 
  3. If the company IS labeled with any of the custom labels I created (i.e. not a "primary company") AND the "primary company" field I created is unknown, it sends me a message to manually fill it in.
  4. If the company IS NOT labeled with any of the custom labels I created (i.e. it is a "primary company"), it copys over the value from the "company name" company property to the "primary company" deal property I created. 

The big issue with it is that I had to set it up as a Company workflow to get access to the "company name" company property. Because of that it created two challenges 1) any time a new deal is added it'll copy the "company name" property to all deals associated with the company, potentially overriding a value already in that field and 2) based on my set up with comapany labels, if a company has a custom label for any of its associated deals it will not copy over the value for the newly associated deal, I have to do it manually. 

JordanBlair_1-1641997010475.png

JordanBlair_2-1641997031122.png

mrapolla
Teilnehmer/-in

Thank you so much! All makes sense and this worked for me. Appreciate it.

0 Upvotes
MandyDROS
Stratege/Strategin | Diamond Partner

@JordanBlair  - have you resolved this?  

I will dig in with @StjepanGrcic to figure this out for you! 

You def should have a "company name" property and the account I used to demo the solution also had the Beta for associating multiple companies so that should not have impacted things.

Now, would it work to use "Primary Company" or is there an issue with that for your overall solution

@mrapolla  - do you have a screenshot by chance of what you are seeing when you search for the company name property? 

0 Upvotes
mrapolla
Teilnehmer/-in

I'm having the same problem! I don't have Company Name as a property on Deals and cannot use the assocation in my integration. Would love to know what solution you come up with.

MandyDROS

Hello @JordanBlair !

There is a "Company Name" property on deals so I think that your Slack notification push and your filtering should work.  Please see this screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 7.37.43 AM.png

Can you please send me a screenshot of what you are seeing when you do the same thing so we can sort out why you aren't getting "Company Name" as a deal property option? 

Cheers,

Mandy Thompson

Mandy HubSpot Forum Footer.png

JordanBlair
Mitglied

Hi @MandyDROS

Thank you for looking into this. That is odd because I do not get that field to show up. You'll see the field called "Primary Company" but that is a custom field that I created to try to copy the value over to. The field "Company Name" does not show up. Perhaps this is a bug that has to do with the fact that I am enrolled in the Beta which allows me to associate multiple companies with a deal? 

JordanBlair_0-1638544018315.png

Best,

Jordan

0 Upvotes