CRM

GaryTesta
Contributor

How to copy Contact Owner Property to Deal Owner Property

SOLVE

I'm trying to create an automation for our Shopify Integration that will automatically assign the Deal Owner based on the Deals associated Contact Owner.

the workflow:

Enroll if a Shopify uploaded Deal

See if the Deal has an existing Owner

If yes - stop

if no - then look to see if the Contact Associated with the Deal has Contact Owner

If yes - the COPY the Contact Owner to the Deal Owner

If no - Assign a Task to Sales Admin to look at the Deal and the Contact and determine the right owner.

I can't seem to find an easy way to copy the Deals associated Contact's Contact Owner, to be the Deal Owner.   The Copy Property only let's you copy the Deal Property to the Contact, but not the assoicated Contact' Property to the Deal.

Any ideas on how to do this?    I read in one post that I may need to create a custom deal owner property and then  use Zapier to copy the Contact Owner to the Customer Deal Owner and the Custom Deal Owner to the Deal Owner.

Sure seems like a lot to steps to copy something Hubspot already has in it.

What would be great would be under Rotate Deal Owner to include the option to Assign the Deal's owner to the Contacts owner or a customer field.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @GaryTesta,

This is possible – just not within a deal-based workflow. Objects enrolled in workflows can only copy their information to another object, but not copy from that object. You'd have to build a contact-based workflow, enrolling contacts with 'at least one associated deal has'.

Your contact-based workflow could look something like this (replace Deal ID with Shopify identifyer):

contact-deal-owner.png

However, this will overwrite all owners of deals associated with the contact. This means that you should only use this when all deals associated with a contact have the same contact and deal owner.

Otherwise, you would have to create a new deal property called 'Contact owner' (property type: HubSpot user), use a contact-based workflow to copy the contact owner from contact record into this new deal property. As a next step, a deal-based workflow would enroll deals without deal owner and copy the value from the new 'Contact owner' deal property into the 'Deal owner' property.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
GaryTesta
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks Karsten, I'm not clear why Hubspot has such a limitation in terms of copying?  They are all just properties, its very restrictive to have to create two workflows and coordinate their results rather than being able to copy freely from all object types as long as the property is of the same type.   

Your solution will work and I appreciate you sharing, now I have to figure out how to coordinate the two workflows so they don't have unintended results as you describe!

Cheers,

g

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @GaryTesta,

This is possible – just not within a deal-based workflow. Objects enrolled in workflows can only copy their information to another object, but not copy from that object. You'd have to build a contact-based workflow, enrolling contacts with 'at least one associated deal has'.

Your contact-based workflow could look something like this (replace Deal ID with Shopify identifyer):

contact-deal-owner.png

However, this will overwrite all owners of deals associated with the contact. This means that you should only use this when all deals associated with a contact have the same contact and deal owner.

Otherwise, you would have to create a new deal property called 'Contact owner' (property type: HubSpot user), use a contact-based workflow to copy the contact owner from contact record into this new deal property. As a next step, a deal-based workflow would enroll deals without deal owner and copy the value from the new 'Contact owner' deal property into the 'Deal owner' property.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.