Jul 30, 2020 5:10 AM
I have seen another post answering this but i didn't understand the answer!
I have nearly 30thousand contacts and none of them were associated to the companies as there was no company domain so hubspot couldn't associate them. I have now added company domain so most contacts are assigned to the correct company.
However i am trying to create a list with info which is across deals/contacts & company and i can't do it as the deals are only associated to the company not the contacts. I am creating a target list and i want to see contacts who work within a company of xx amount of employees (recorded on company page) and who purchased certain items (recorded on deals page).
I don't have the individual names who purchased so i assume i need to just assign a company deal to all contacts within that company.
How can i do this on mass? There could be multiple deals per company.
Aug 6, 2020 6:02 AM
I would mass update/associate the contact records to the company first via import. Here is the tutorial on importing.
How are you planning on deciding which contact should be associated with what company?
Aug 13, 2020 10:43 AM
We associated the contacts with the companies already? Well almost all of them, maybe out of 30,000 contacts there should only be a couple of hundred without an associated company. We used company domain which didn’t originally exist.
We just now need to get the deals associated to ALL contacts within a company as we wont know the individual who purchased, this is due to the lists we want to create for targeting, we need info from the contact, company and deal records to produce the list we need.
Jul 31, 2020 4:59 AM
Thanks for reaching out.
It looks like you have access to HubSpot Technical Support . As troubleshooting this further will involve sharing information specific to your account and specific examples, partnering with them will be the best next step.
Aug 3, 2020 3:53 AM
Hi Jessica. Unfortunately i have reached out to support team already and they weren't able to give a solution which is why i posted here to see if anyone in the community has had same issue and found a workaround.