CRM

CDavis

How to Reverse Email Opt-Out

SOLVE

I in advertantly clicked the Opt Out flag on a contact and need to get it removed.

How do I do that?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CDavis

It's not possible for you to reverse the opt-out on behalf of your contact, even if you did it. More on this here: How can I resubscribe a customer?

If you can get them to submit a form, you can use the resubscribe email option described here: How do I enable resubscription emails for forms?

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @CDavis

It's not possible for you to reverse the opt-out on behalf of your contact, even if you did it. More on this here: How can I resubscribe a customer?

If you can get them to submit a form, you can use the resubscribe email option described here: How do I enable resubscription emails for forms?

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
NatHiggins
Participant

SOLVE

It looks like this might no longer be accurate, according to this Knowledge Base article: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/remove-an-opt-out-of-email-status. It seems as though you can now opt clients back into emails. Am I understanding the acticle correctly?

MurraySellars
Participant

SOLVE

@NatHiggins I owe you a beverage of your choice if we ever end up propping up the same side of a bar! Many thanks!

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @NatHiggins , correct, updating this old thread, currently you can only do this action to contacts who were opted out manually from the contact record, through an opt-out list, or through a subscription status update via a workflow.

Kindly,

Pam 

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

dci

SOLVE

Phil,

I just posted on this topic and then came across your response and am happy to see that you address what was frustrating me...

Phil Vallender wrote: It's not possible for you to reverse the opt-out on behalf of your contact, even if you did it.

So I'd like to ask one last time and I’ll move on… are you absolutely sure there is no way to reverse when someone inadvertently and or mistakenly places a contact, or contacts in "opt out of email"?

I’ve made this error w/ about 100 contacts and definitely do not want to ask them to take some action to fix my error.

I just posted this elsewhere on the topic:

The responses and comments that come from HubSpot regarding this topic frustrate the heck out of me because they ignore a specific point that NSC_Sage, and I have made, where as we "inadvertently and or mistakenly placed a contact, or contacts in "opt out of email"! The contact(s) did NOT ask to be opted out nor did they make any selection to opt themselves out of receiving emails!!!

These lines from “edjusten” are the exact same ones I received from other HubSpot support peeps: "We take opt-out status very seriously here at HubSpot."

And here's the kicker, again from “edjusten”, "Any contact who has opted out cannot receive a marketing email, and the contact must opt back in according to the instructions forwarded to you earlier."

What HubSpot can't seem to hear, get and understand is that individuals like NSC_Sage, and I, AGAIN… inadvertently and or mistakenly placed a contact, or contacts in the "opt out of email" category!!! And again, I REPEAT, the contact(s) did NOT ask to be opted out nor did they make any selection to opt themselves out of receiving emails!!!

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Q: "...are you absolutely sure there is no way to reverse when someone inadvertently and or mistakenly places a contact, or contacts in "opt out of email"?"

Short A: YES

Longer A: Frankly, intention is irrelevant with regard to the email opt-out feature in many email provisioning platforms. Think of the email opt-out feature like a bullet fired from a gun -- no matter what your intention when you send it you cannot take it back. Period. The contact must go through the resubscription process Phil linked to earlier.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
GLC
Contributor

SOLVE

I have accidentaly opted myself out of receiving my own marketing emails, but have not fully setup our Hubspot ssystem yet. Is there not an easy way to opt myself back in? I do not have a previously sent email to opt myself back in from.

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @GLC,

I just sent you a resubscribe email so that you can opt yourself back in 🙂 

In the future, you can resubscribe/opt yourself back in by 1) filling out any form on your website (you will be directed to a preferences pages) or 2) clicking the email subscription link in the footer of a marketing email you have received from your portal. 

Thanks,
Jenny

GLC
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi,

Are you able to resubscribe my colleague penelope.edwards@travellocal.com

Or is there an easy way for me to do this?

Thanks

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @GLC

I don't see your colleague as having opted out of receiving emails; if they have unsubscribed, they would be able to opt in by going to the bottom of a previously sent marketing email and selecting "update email preferences". 

If you're still having issues, can you please share screenshots of what you are seeing on your end that is indicating the user has unsubscribed? 

Thanks,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @dci

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. @Phil_Vallender gets to the root of the matter which is that this is not feasible within HubSpot. 

The responses you have received from HubSpot Employees speak more to the reason that this is not feasible as opposed to the fact itself. 

HubSpot Employees and Moderators are in the Community in an effort to assist all users, so please note that while their responses may include more information than the immediate answer, we always want to give more than a "yes" or "no" when possible to provide insight into why the answer is what it is. 

When it comes to opt-out, we are commited to maintaing both your email sending reptuation and all contacts' privacy and rights in regards to receiving marketing emails, which is why the answer is what it is. 

I hope you can understand we never want to cause you more frustration, but simply provide as much context as we can. 

In the meantime, Ed has provided you with next steps in your other thread. 

Thank you,

Jenny