CRM

Skip

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

In ACT! I could easily create Groups and assign Contacts.  Is this possible in the HubSpot CRM?

1 Accepted solution
roisinkirby
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

Hey @dpitts,

This feature is not currently possible in HubSpot, but you can search, vote for or post this as a feature request on our ideas forum here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/idb-p/HubSpot_Ideas

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
28 Replies 28
PaulH3
Participant

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

I'm new to HS but a past ACT! user and hit this problem quickly.  I have clients and prospects in my list - I want to see a list of just my clients - cant do it. 

aorons
Participant

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

We use a custom property that we named Lead Status which is a drop-down select of Customers, Dormant Customers, Prospects, Vendors, and one or two other labels that are not Customers. Creating Lists or Saved Searches around Property = a Value is how we get to where you want to get to.

Does that address the problem?

aorons
Participant

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

There are at least 3 ways to do this with the current feature set:

1. Static List - Put contacts in there manually - sounds like it's closest to actual request
  2. Active List - Based on a Property Value or multiple Property Values
  3. Saved Contact Search - Based on a Property Value or multiple Property Values

What else do you really need??

0 Upvotes
mosh5150

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

I need to be able to go into  a crm  search Telcom, agency etc whatever description  and a list with all those companies be presented - i  really don't know why   HS doesn't have this its so basic -  No phone support   this is VERY much a learn at your own  system weighing the benefits of this CRM 

0 Upvotes
aorons
Participant

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

Sales pro does offer phone support. As far as the search parameters, it doesn't sound that complex. Maybe I'm missing something.

0 Upvotes
SoccerBanker

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

I use this Group feature in other apps in a slightly different way. I'm not trying to tag or simply coategorize contacts, I'm trying to communicate with them. For example, each season, I want to group my Academy coaches, my Transition Academy coaches, my Recreation coaches, my volunteers, etc. As I have issues for each, I don't want to have to remember to add everyone before I send them a note. I want a group for each that I can send information to, then track thay they've received it and see their replies. 

As some have said above, contacts can exist in more than one group simultaneously. The key for me is easy <one-click> communication. 

aorons
Participant

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

Incidentally - this is a standard feature in the Marketing Product - referred to as "Lists" - which can either be dynamic based on conditions or static (drag and drop)

mobilbud

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

Can you explain to me where this function is? I find "Lists" under "Contacts" but here I can only use already determined properties. I really just need to make a group "A", "B" etc and assign (by drag and drop preferably) contacts/companies to the different groups. 

aorons
Participant

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

Lists can be dynamic or static. With Static lists you can simply drag them in or use the checkmarks in another list and choose "Add to Static List" option at the top.

As far as custom fields, those are called "Contact Properties" and you can create as many as you need.

0 Upvotes
mobilbud

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

Sorry, I might be **bleep** or something, but Icant see the option of dragging anything in? When I choose static, all I get is the option of different predetermined filter types: Contact properties, Marketing emails, Events, Form submissions and Imports

Hawk-Steve
Top Contributor

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

@mobilbud, there are a couple different methods to add and remove contacts from static lists. Check this knowledge base article out.

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/lists/add-or-remove-contacts-from-a-static-list

mosh5150

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

Has this been made a feature yet? I still can't believe a  search function by category ie description etc is not a priority.

0 Upvotes
JustVisiting

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

I couldn't find it. i ended up creating a custom field for contact details and using that to filter people. But it's not ideal as the field can only assign one value to a contact at a time. If I have contacts related to multiple projects, I usually have to duplicate the contact.

I don't understand why grouping contacts isn't a feature. But I'm more concerned that the developers don't see the need for such a feature. Seems like a major oversight to me as it was one of the first things I needed.

mobilbud

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

Thanks for the reply! Can you maybe explain to me in more detail how exactly you made that "custom field"? I cant seem to find that

0 Upvotes
JustVisiting

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

Go to a contact, then select 'View All Properties' at the bottom of 'About This contact'. In the next screen, at the top right, there is a button called 'Create a Contact Property'.

It will produce a search bar and two buttons - click the second button 'Create a new property.' From here you can set the property name and behaviour. Once you create the field, it will be available in all current and future contacts.

I created a basic text field which can store a project's name.

After creating the new field, edit a contact to rearrange the properties by drag and drop. You can also rearrange the fields shown in the overall contacts screen displaying all contacts. This will let you filter contacts based on the field.

It's not perfect and a far cry from the features people here are asking for. A simple drag-and-drop group system for contacts would be much better. But this at least solved my problem, though I must add I only use Hubspot to manage contacts, not projects.

Another downside - if a contact is involved in more than one projects, you eithe rneed several fields or have to duplicate the contact using an altered email address so the system doesn't flag it as a duplicate. This serves my purpose, but it's messy.

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

Hey @Skip - great question. The best way to Group Contacts is by using custom properties and custom views to segement and save groups of contacts based on shared properties.

Full instructions can be found here: Creating custom views in the CRM for prospecting

Let me know if this helps!

0 Upvotes
Skip

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

So I cannot create my own Groups and assign Contacts to them?

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

You can create groups based on a custom contact prpoerty - e.g. Group A, that you can assign to contacts.You can also group contacts by HubSpot Owner.

Could you provide some further detail on how you used ACT to group contacts?

0 Upvotes
dpitts

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

In Act you create a group. Then add contacts to the group. You can send emails to defined groups or use the group to search by. 

For example, I go to a tradeshow and capture contact leads. When I return to the office I create a group (MS CRM calls them marketing list) and add the contacts to the group. I can now easily pull up a lookup (view) by the groups.

Sounds like Hubspot wants to use a custom and predifned field to place a common value for all contacts that we want to group on them search that field for the value later.  

roisinkirby
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

How to Group Contacts?

SOLVE

Hey @dpitts,

This feature is not currently possible in HubSpot, but you can search, vote for or post this as a feature request on our ideas forum here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/idb-p/HubSpot_Ideas

0 Upvotes