CRM

Jefe
Contributeur

How do I filter contacts with multiple Tags (i.e Tag 1 AND Tag 2 AND Tag 3)

Résolue

Hello,

I am trying to search for records that match Tags.

I go to Contacts, Filter and when I choose Tags, it says Any Tag.

I want to choose at least 2 tags like - Accountant and CPA

(i.e. Custom Tags that I have created)

How can I make sure that I filter only Accountant who are CPAs?

I am using the free CRM.

Thanks!

2 Solutions acceptées
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Membre irremplaçable | Partenaire solutions Diamond

Résolue

Hi @Jefe

When you are filtering contacts in the CRM, you can create multiple filters one after the other. You can use default or custom properties. The only thing you can not do (with the Marketing Hub) is mix and match contact and company properties.

Here's an example of a contact view with two filters applied:

Contacts.png

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

0 Votes
Jefe
Solution
Contributeur

Résolue

The work-around solution to this is to create Custom Filters. 

So for example, instead of creating 100 tags and expecting the AND feature to work, the work around is to create multiple filters.

i.e. If I am looking for an Accountant who is a CPA and CFE.

Create a Custom Filter for Profession with the drop-down select Accountant, Lawyer, Finance, etc.

Create a filter - Credentials 1 CPA, CFE, JD, etc.

Create a filter - Credentials 2 CPA, CFE, JD, etc.

Then when you do your custom search, make sure that you select profession = Accountant, Credential 1 = CPA, and if there's a second credential, Credential 2 = CFE.

I hope this helps anyone else who was having the same problem.

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

0 Votes
10 Réponses
GuyTaylor
Guide

Résolue

@Jefe @Adam23 

I can see you guys each have work arounds for tags which I use myself. But  I'm working on something to make it even easier to use tags.

Would be happy for your input or to try us out. Details here: HubTags 

Guy | linkedhub.io

0 Votes
Jefe
Solution
Contributeur

Résolue

The work-around solution to this is to create Custom Filters. 

So for example, instead of creating 100 tags and expecting the AND feature to work, the work around is to create multiple filters.

i.e. If I am looking for an Accountant who is a CPA and CFE.

Create a Custom Filter for Profession with the drop-down select Accountant, Lawyer, Finance, etc.

Create a filter - Credentials 1 CPA, CFE, JD, etc.

Create a filter - Credentials 2 CPA, CFE, JD, etc.

Then when you do your custom search, make sure that you select profession = Accountant, Credential 1 = CPA, and if there's a second credential, Credential 2 = CFE.

I hope this helps anyone else who was having the same problem.

0 Votes
Adam23
Membre

Résolue

The workaround I've been using if it's of interest to you.

Its definitely imperfect and won't allow you to "search tags" or have them auto suggest as you type (which is annoying). However, the best workaround I've found so far is to simply use a multi-line text (you can use single-line as well but multi-line is nicer visually in my opinion). I used a simple example to prove to myself it works.

1. Create a custom property called tags and choose the field type to be "multi-line text"

2. Open up contact #1 and type the following in your Tags custom field:

Red

Blue

Green

3. Open up contact #2 and type the following in your Tags field:

Red

Blue

Now you go back to the contacts main page and choose filter and search for your "Tags" field. The important difference is that unlike the "multiple checkboxes field", the "multi-line text" field type has a filter option of "contains exactly". You can then type "red blue" and you will see both contact #1 and contact #2 in the filter results. If you add "green" to the list you will only be left with contact #1 in the filter results. It seems to work regardless of word order, capitalization, and whether or not you use commas.

Again, pretty imperfect but it works. You have no idea what anyone else tagged any other clients, but if you can all agree on a general set of tags you can mostly make it work. I actually got a little desperate and took it a bit further by creating an actual contact called "Tag Options". Inside that contact, in a note I listed out all (most) of the tags the team was using.  You can (at mention) your other team members so they know about the contact. Then as everyone uses more tags they can search for the contact name "Tag Options" and then edit the note inside it. As you keep doing it you'll actually find you refine it down to a shorter list of tags that everyone knows and can agree on.

Adam23
Membre

Résolue

The workaround I've been using if it's of interest to you.

Its definitely imperfect and won't allow you to "search tags" or have them auto suggest as you type (which is annoying). However, the best workaround I've found so far is to simply use a multi-line text (you can use single-line as well but multi-line is nicer visually in my opinion). I used a simple example to prove to myself it works.

1. Create a custom property called tags and choose the field type to be "multi-line text"

2. Open up contact #1 and type the following in your Tags custom field:

Red

Blue

Green

3. Open up contact #2 and type the following in your Tags field:

Red

Blue

Now you go back to the contacts main page and choose filter and search for your "Tags" field. The important difference is that unlike the "multiple checkboxes field", the "multi-line text" field type has a filter option of "contains exactly". You can then type "red blue" and you will see both contact #1 and contact #2 in the filter results. If you add "green" to the list you will only be left with contact #1 in the filter results. It seems to work regardless of word order, capitalization, and whether or not you use commas.

Again, pretty imperfect but it works. You have no idea what anyone else tagged any other clients, but if you can all agree on a general set of tags you can mostly make it work. I actually got a little desperate and took it a bit further by creating an actual contact called "Tag Options". Inside that contact, in a note I listed out all (most) of the tags the team was using.  You can (at mention) your other team members so they know about the contact. Then as everyone uses more tags they can search for the contact name "Tag Options" and then edit the note inside it. As you keep doing it you'll actually find you refine it down to a shorter list of tags that everyone knows and can agree on.

Rbacon
Membre

Résolue

I am having a similar problem with setting up my Hubspot CRM, my previous CRM had several categories, maybe 20, for different contacts.  Some of these contacts had more than one category and I hoped to be able to have more than one linked to my clients in Hubspot.  

I had a property set up titled ID as a multi category type.  I created all of the different categories but it only allows me to select one option at a time.  

If I use this tag method is their a way to import those in as you described.  I have about 2500 contacts in my database,  maybe 500-600 with multiple categories/tags. 

Trying to get this figured out before I get to far into it.

0 Votes
Phil_Vallender

Résolue

Hi @Jefe

Nice one on the work around. 

In an industry with limited and consistent nomenclature, you might find it even easier to create indiviudual properties for each label. I.e. CPA yes or no, CFE yes or no. 

Thanks for posting with the solution you found.

0 Votes
Phil_Vallender
Solution

Résolue

Hi @Jefe

When you are filtering contacts in the CRM, you can create multiple filters one after the other. You can use default or custom properties. The only thing you can not do (with the Marketing Hub) is mix and match contact and company properties.

Here's an example of a contact view with two filters applied:

Contacts.png

Hope this helps.

0 Votes
Jefe
Contributeur

Résolue

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the example, however this does not address my question.

If I go to Filter Tags, my only choice is:

- ANY OF 

- IS NOT ANY  OF

- IS KNOWN

- IS UNKNOWN

So I select 1 Tag from "ANY OF"

This is the equivalent of the Boolean "OR" which I don't want.

So then I go back to filters and Tags are greyed out, so I cannot choose a 2nd tag (which defeats the purpose of filtering by tags).

Am I missing how to do this or do this functionality not exist?

Thanks,

Jefe

0 Votes
Phil_Vallender

Résolue

Hi @Jefe

Oh I see. If the two values are options in the same property, filters cannot be used to find them. 

You could do that with a list, if you have the Marketing HuB Basic or above. 

Good luck.

0 Votes
Jefe
Contributeur

Résolue
So how do I contact support to request the AND feature? I'm not in the market to spend $2400/year as it isn't worth it as I am using Hubspot to create a database and not using any bells and whistles.

Any other ideas for a work around?

If I add the words into a note, can I use the AND function to only display all keywords that match or this is only the OR functionality as well?

The only other option I can think of to use Zapier to export to excel/Google sheets and do a pivot table? Seems like this functionality should be included to query a contact.