How do I change a contact into a "deal" after I made a sale?

Highlighted
New Contributor

I just signed up and I am not sure how to save a sale in Hubspot. I first created my client as a "contact" and now that the client has paid I want to move it over as a sale/ deal. Or is this now how it's supposed to be? Can somone please point me in the right direcion?

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
Highlighted
Community Thought Leader | Diamond Partner

Hi @WdeVries

This is a common area of confusion among CRM users. 

Contacts (people) do not convert into deals or opportunities (depending on the language of the tool in use), rather they are associated with deals that are moved to a closed won stage when the business is won. 

In HubSpot when a deal is closed won, any associated contacts have their lifecycle stage moved to Customer. You can also manually change a person's lifecycle stage to customer with out creating a deal if you wish.

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
Highlighted
New Contributor

HI Phil, Thank you so much for your reply. So if I understand it correctly I will most be in the"contacts" section. When a client closes, the staus changes to "customer" but I am still in the contact section. I find the contact section so messy because it links all my email conversation in there. I guess I use the filter to me my customers only? And then I keep track of my hotlist using the "deals" section? Is this how hubspot was meant to design it? How do you stay organized in your contacts if it shows all contacts you email? 

1 more question. When you set a task to for example "have the client pay their balance due", Do you create the task under "contacts"or under "deals" ? Thx so much

0 Upvotes