CRM

danielrnorris
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende | Elite Partner

How do I Create a new Unique Custom Object record on form submission.

Looking for some Custom Object help. I created an Event Registration custom object and used those properties in all the event registration forms. When I fill out the forms it works great and made the new Event Registration records associated with my contact. Unfortunately when we went live everyone that fills it out just gets associated with the first record that is created for the event. There is not a unique registration record for each contact. I am assuming this is similar to how deals work. Is there any way to have this create a unique Event Registration record associated with the Contact for every form submission? Really dont want to have to create workflows for every event to create these objects. Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 12.59.35 PM.png

6 Antworten
franksteiner79
Autorität

Hi @danielrnorris 

Could you elaborate a bit more on the custom object you created (looks like something to do with an event), and how you want it to be used within HubSpot? I am wondering if the way you approach custom objects might be the issue here.

Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

Marketeer | HubSpot Expert | CRM Consultant

InboundPro

Let's Talk About Your Project
danielrnorris

Hey appreciate the reply. Yeah definitely possible that I am looking at it the wrong way. Though I have come across this use case for Custom Objects a bunch over the past 10 years. Especially with Salesforce. Basically it is similar use to the main Deal object. Wanted a unique custom object for an individuals Registration/Application to an event or training school. This allows multiple individuals to be associated to a single registration in the case of groups, couples, and families with kids. It also gives better record keeping and reporting for the events and it's attendees. I have attempted to manage registrations simply on a contact record using custom properties and it is a nightmare. So yeah this custom object is not for the event itself, though I am considering another object for that, just not a priority to get started. The challenge I came across in my original post was that I could insert the custom object properties in a form, though because each submission sent through the same event name it just associates every contact that submitted it to a single Event Registration record. So yeah ultimately the issue comes down to having a Unique Name or not. The main workaround, which seems to be the case even for deals, is to have a workflow triggered by the form submission that create each unique custom object record. It is working well I just hate having to have so many different steps involved when creating new events. Makes scaling difficult. Anyways hope that clarifies.

0 Upvotes
franksteiner79
Autorität

Thanks for the context @danielrnorris 

So my understanding of custom objects, is that they are there to help you create objects and relationships that don't currently exist in HubSpot. Some common uses I have seen are:

• a contract object, which has a 1:1 relationship with a deal and contains additional contract related information
  • homes for real estate agent businesses - part inventory management, and associated to deals (kinda like a line item/product)
  • partner or vendor information - again associated with deals, which partner is working on what with us

Your use case sounds like something that could either:

• be done with marketing events - I have to admit I've not used them much myself yet
  • be handled via an actual events software integration like Eventbrite, Splash, Bevy, etc. - my view has always been why re-invent or re-build something that already exists
  • or you would need to ensure you have specific forms for each event to send/associate the actual event name, avoid creating a new custom object

I hope that helps.

Frank

Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

Marketeer | HubSpot Expert | CRM Consultant

InboundPro

Let's Talk About Your Project
danielrnorris

Yes and there is currently no registration/application object natively in Hubspot. As I said this is a fairly common use for custom objects in the education space. This client actually used Eventbrite integrated the past few years and it is sadly a very poor and limiting integration. As for Marketing Events it is also a very poor feature in Hubspot that in no way serves organizations running large scale events and training. Maybe it will someday but custom objects just allow for proper customization. Another major thing is it allows us to asslciate multiple individuals to a single registration. Anyways appreciate the help.

0 Upvotes
jolle
Trendsetter/-in | Partner
Trendsetter/-in | Partner

Hey @danielrnorris, thanks for reaching out!

When people are filling out the form, are they doing it within the same browser window/on a single device? If you have multiple people repeatedly filling out the same form on the same device and you're not using incognito mode, HubSpot will view that device as a single contact just updating their info over and over again. I wonder if that's possibly what's happening here since I've seen that cause regular form submissions to all be tied to the first submitted contact record. 

Let me know if using incognito mode doesn't work!

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature
danielrnorris

Hey thanks for the reply. No these are people all over the country and I also made sure to have the setting on where it creates a new contact for every new email. Ran into that problem last year with registrations for an event. That was before I decided to make this switch into a Custom Object.

0 Upvotes