CRM

deforgej

How Do I Stop HubSpot from Deduping My List Imports

SOLVE

I am trying to import an excel file with many records. 

Some of these records have more than one name associated with one email account. Because there is only one email on file and more than one name associated with it; HubSpot keeps deleting records in order to keep one email address.

Example:

John - johndoe@gmail.com

Mary - johndoe@gmail.com

Kevin - johndoe@gmail.com

HubSpot, on import, would delete Mary and Kevin. But I need a personalized email sent to Mary and Kevin under John's email.

If you need further ellaboration, please ask, thank you.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @deforgej 

At present, HubSpot always, automatically deduplicates contacts based on email address. 

Each unique email address can only be associated with one contact. Contacts can not share email addresses. And, while you could import the shared email address into a custom, non-standard, contact property, that property could not be used for the sending of emails. 

I've seen this be an issue before, in markets where businesses deal with contacts who share addresses. Unfortunately, HubSpot might not be the right solution for you in this instance. Although I'm not sure which systems actually allow the sending of emails multiple times to the same address and/or with differing personalisation. 

Good luck.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @deforgej 

At present, HubSpot always, automatically deduplicates contacts based on email address. 

Each unique email address can only be associated with one contact. Contacts can not share email addresses. And, while you could import the shared email address into a custom, non-standard, contact property, that property could not be used for the sending of emails. 

I've seen this be an issue before, in markets where businesses deal with contacts who share addresses. Unfortunately, HubSpot might not be the right solution for you in this instance. Although I'm not sure which systems actually allow the sending of emails multiple times to the same address and/or with differing personalisation. 

Good luck.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency