CRM

gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

Hiding inactive contacts from company

SOLVE

My companies contact inactive contacts. How can I get these contacts not to show up when looking at the company?

inactive.png

1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Unfortunately, you can't.

Not without either disassociating them from the company OR totally deleting them from the CRM. And while the delete option may sound a bit radical, remember, HubSpot doesn't actually 'delete' most of the contact data unless you perform a full GDPR-compliant delete. The contact is just flagged as 'deleted' which makes it invisible on the frontend.

This means, you can effectively delete a contact (which makes their details seem to vanish), then re-add that contact days/weeks/months later and watch most of their info reappear. And, while it looks like HubSpot magic, it's really nothing more than HubSpot maintaining behind-the-scenes intelligence on contacts that may be needed to manage that contact at some point in the future (if restored or re-added). One specific example of this is the opt-out status of a contact. Even after DELETION AND RE-ADDING to the CRM, their opt-out status will be remembered indefinately.

Now, we're not advocating that you delete contacts as a solution. Simply pointing out normal system functionality that may work in your favor.

Again, this only applies to NON-GDPR-COMPLIANT deletes.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
JRogers74
Participant

SOLVE

Being able to hide inactive contacts would be great. It would clear up valuable space as well. A button to toggle on and off would make it easy.

DianaGomez
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @JRogers74, thank you for your comment. 

There is no built-in way to make a contact inactive in HubSpot.  Although, you could make a custom property such as 'Active/Inactive' and mark this property as Inactive for the contact. Another workaround is using the Lead Status property and marking them as 'Unqualified'.

Also, I found This idea in our ideas' forum: Make it visually clear when a contact is inactive for this feature that I recommend upvoting/commenting on. The Ideas Forum is the centralized location our Product Team references to learn what HubSpot customers would like to see built out in the tools, and they take those ideas and suggestions seriously.

I hope this helps,

Diana

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Unfortunately, you can't.

Not without either disassociating them from the company OR totally deleting them from the CRM. And while the delete option may sound a bit radical, remember, HubSpot doesn't actually 'delete' most of the contact data unless you perform a full GDPR-compliant delete. The contact is just flagged as 'deleted' which makes it invisible on the frontend.

This means, you can effectively delete a contact (which makes their details seem to vanish), then re-add that contact days/weeks/months later and watch most of their info reappear. And, while it looks like HubSpot magic, it's really nothing more than HubSpot maintaining behind-the-scenes intelligence on contacts that may be needed to manage that contact at some point in the future (if restored or re-added). One specific example of this is the opt-out status of a contact. Even after DELETION AND RE-ADDING to the CRM, their opt-out status will be remembered indefinately.

Now, we're not advocating that you delete contacts as a solution. Simply pointing out normal system functionality that may work in your favor.

Again, this only applies to NON-GDPR-COMPLIANT deletes.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@MFrankJohnson  As always, thank you for your honesty.

Although our parent company is in Australia, all our contacts are based in the United States.  GDPR should not apply.

I am leery of the delete as in the past, I lost all data (not getting over this one, sorry). Additionally, the "inactive" contact may pop up at the company again, making it so much easier to activate.

Ok so I can hide them from contacts with filters but not hide them from the company.  I have way too many "helpers" after the contacts last name. (i.e. Frank Johnson 1234 (not listed on website). This will work for now.

Thank you as always!

Chris

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

As always, you're welcome @gelflex-cc ...

>>"...GDPR should not apply."
Understood. However, in the name of universal compliance, many HubSpot clients who do business internationally and with any possibility of housing EU contacts in their CRM have enabled HubSpot's GDPR functionality. In so doing, they have been given access to an additional 'GDPR-compliant delete' capability [HubSpot phrase]. Considering the permanent impact of this type of delete action, we always include it in any conversation around deleting HubSpot data. It's that important.

- see Perform a GDPR-compliant delete in HubSpot

-ps
Haven't been down the 'lost all data' road in a while, but we're intimately familiar with the territory. These days, even our backups have backups! haha 🙂

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes