CRM

TonySchmidt
Contributor

Global Search doesn't prioritize exact matches

SOLVE

Unfortunately the global search in HubsSpot rarely produces the results I'm looking for. When I type in the name of a company exactly as it is shown on the record, it shows up somewhere between the 5th to the 10th result which means it is not shown on the initial search results page and I have to click on "See all" and the hunt for it.

Recommendation: Show exact matches before partial or wildcard matches.

Test: I typed in "Omega Phi Alpha" which is an exact match for a company in my database. It was the 10th result ony found on the second page after clicking "see all" under the Companies header.

Additional Notes: All my companies are fraternities or sororities which are simply rearrangements of the same 24 greek letters rearranged so wildcard search using the last word as described in this help article will never produce a good result. Is there a way to turn this off? A better algorithm would be to do a wildcard search using the entire search query so when I type "Omega Alpha" it does a "Omega Alpha*" search instead of an "Alpha*" search.

globalSearch.pngglobalSearch2.png

A short-term solution would be to allow double-quoted searches to only show exact matches so I can search for "Omega Phi Alpha" (including quotes).

1 Accepted solution
Josh
Solution
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @TonySchmidt,

Great point! I would recommend adding this to the HubSpot Ideas forum so that it can be upvoted. There are other global search ideas there, but I'm not seeing one for this already.

Thanks for sharing! 

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Josh
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @TonySchmidt,

Great point! I would recommend adding this to the HubSpot Ideas forum so that it can be upvoted. There are other global search ideas there, but I'm not seeing one for this already.

Thanks for sharing! 

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.

TonySchmidt
Contributor

SOLVE

I looked at the Ideas forum and it looks like a place where posts go to die. I searched for "global search" Ideas and found 20+ with no replies from 2019 through now. I didn't see any staff responses there but I do see staff responses in these general forums. But I'll cross post there as well, can't hurt. I do understand that they have a massive amount of posts to review.

Posted here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Global-Search-to-prioritize-exact-matches/idi-p/41333...

0 Upvotes
Josh

SOLVE

Hi @TonySchmidt,

I've seen many posts go from the ideas forum to eventually being released. The HubSpot team does a great job of paying attention to the ideas board. 

Thank you for posting your idea. I've upvoted it!

Josh Curcio

BKnott
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Josh, 

The fact that the global search function does not perform it's function should've be a 'nice-to-have' feature. This is very disappointing for a CRM. There have been many suggestions/ideas which have come to fruition - but having a search function work as expected shouldn't be one of them - and it shouldn't be lower priority than other improvements which have been made in the meantime. 

I don't think this is an idea - I think this should have been done right the first time. 

The OP has even suggested that:

A short-term solution would be to allow double-quoted searches to only show exact matches so I can search for "Omega Phi Alpha" (including quotes).

I'd love an update on this issue - I can't imagine a business where this isn't a major issue, or inconvenience. 

Thanks, 
Bridget