CRM

jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

GSuite vs. Office 365: which is better?

A rivalry almost as old as the internet itself - G Suite vs. Office 365.

This week we're discussing which solution you've found to be better for your business (and your personal life, too)!

Do you have a love / hate relationship with one of these? Are you so loyal to one that even seeing them compared side by side makes you roll your eyes? We want to know which way the HubSpot Community sways on GSuite vs. O365! 

Share your thoughts and comments in the thread below!

24 Replies 24
jamesrobert15

Transferring G Suite data from one account to another can be achieved through manual methods involving exporting and importing various data components, but this approach is time-consuming, complex, and prone to data loss. Alternatively, using specialized migration tools like the Cigati G Suite Backup Tool offers a streamlined and efficient solution, ensuring a smoother transfer of emails, calendars, Drive files, and other data with clear instructions and minimized risk of errors.

Follow this link to Learn Manual Method: https://www.cigatisolutions.com/blog/migrate-g-suite-to-g-suite/

0 Upvotes
AM8
Top Contributor

I have used both systems in differnt companies and both work well with HubSpot, I personally like GSuite. It is easier to collborate with the team on drive and as a marketer I end up using Google apps like Google Analytics and AdWords anyway, so it just makes it all easy to have email and docs in Google too. 

Hope this helps
Thank you.
-AM8 
#Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.
Espe
Contributor

Google Suite is better and more useful for many reason.
Apps Script also help to integrate every app outside google environment.

miriamklff

Definitely Google! For collaborative working it is simply the easiest way. Also works great with hubspot for us. 

Hey, btw. are you a GSuite and Hubspot Lover, too? Join us! 

emmathompson_0
Contributor

Such a good debate!

I have recently moved over to GSuite after changing employer... at the moment I still love 365 but there are some that are slowly bringing me around...

Google Drive > OneDrive

Slides > Powerpoint

Excel > Sheets

Docs > Word

Outlook > Gmail

I think moving to a Mac from a Windows doesn't help either... Still, I'm getting there!

Cheers!

DigitalWoods
Participant

I have recently moved over to Office 365 after using GSuite for ages.  Currently, I'm using both however, some features are hands down better in Office 365.

1. Powerpoint - I was a die-hard fan of Google Slides, but totally blown away by the web version of PowerPoint. They have an exponentially higher number of themes and a smart design suggester makes life so much easy. The app integrations ate also pretty cool.

2. Mail Exchange - The ability to create rules is so much more robust than GSuite Admin.

Everything else (Word, email, Excel, etc.) seems more or less the same. I certainly prefer Gmail over Outlook. There are a ton of Gmail extensions that are not available in Outlook...it may take some time for me to find an alternative. The 365 app store looks promising though.

Also, HubSpot integration with Outlook (web version) is such a pain. The extension is slow and often refuses to open unless the page is refreshed. I had to use the mail exchange features to auto log all emails into HubSpot.

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

🎉  🎉  Continuing welcoming this week new users 🎉  🎉  🎉  🎉   

I hope you find the Community a valuable place, I would like to connect you guys with other users and invite you to participate this weeks debates,  GSuite vs. Office 365: which is better?

@aagwunobi @ABertke @Tedinbos @adaly-idscan @Tedinbos  @adaly-idscan @Salesmaien , @Ashley_T , @barrettc31 @blair1 @breehemphill @brian_keating @KCLT , @cfortini @Cnichols ,  @Csmart , @colbystree , @ddamleyjones  @debbiesnewing @dennisa.

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
ABertke

Thank you for the invitation to participate!

GSuite and Office 365 (recently renamed to Microsoft 365) seem to have 90% similar functionality for the ways that I use these tools. The difference for me is when I need power or precision, I go with 365. 

For example, Google Sheets will choke when importing very large CSV files or spreadsheets, but Excel can open the file with no problem. Or if some layout options aren't available in Google Docs that are available in Word. 

That being said, I spend most of my time in GSuite these days due to the easy collaboration with other team members. I know that Microsoft has added some of this functionality to 365, but we're already using GSuite, so why bother switching.

Digna
Contributor

A few of you mentioned google apps being slow for certain tasks, and not having the same power as their Microsoft counterparts.  

I've never really experienced anything like that myself, I wonder how much of that was G Suite not having equal power to Microsoft, and how much of it was because of the browser.

If ya'lls browser wasn't updated, and or overloaded with cookies/history/extensions, while also using a laptop rather than desktop then yeah I could see that 🤣🤣 all day

mike-ward
Key Advisor

Tricky one! I have a hybrid approach like some others. It also changes somewhat over time... My personal opinion is:

Google Drive > OneDrive

PowerPoint > Slides (except for super simple things)

Docs > Word

Sheets > Excel (for simple things)

Excel > Sheets (for super complex things)

Gmail > Outlook (I can no longer excuse Outlook's ridiculous rendering engine; I'm so tired of having to add so much conditional rendering to marketing emails!!)

But each to their own! It's interesting to watch the 'winner' for each app swing back and forth over recent years.

Mike

Digna
Contributor

Well said

0 Upvotes
Digna
Contributor

G Suite!

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

🎉  🎉  🎉  🎉   Welcome to this week new users in the Community 🎉  🎉  🎉  🎉  

@AW-NL @alex-martin @alfredmurgado @arandazzo @bakem @bchansky @cfinestone @Crystelrynne @imdancoop @DarrenSimons @druderman @dstoker @jhoke722 @Barty @jmbray @James22 @kaelza @MarcusB @mariejansen @MelissaCB 

We would love your opinion on this week's topic and of course connect you with other users!

Thanks,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

0 Upvotes
Barty

Definitely depends on the size and CMMI maturity of the company to be honest. G Suite is great for small companies who are growing and don't need too much structure, whereas O365 is a beast with lots of features and applications, but most companies don't need them, i.e. Project, Access, PowerBI, etc. 

On a side note, if someone wanted to migrate their data between G Suite Drives and OneDrive/SharePoint, or anything in between check out Movebot 😉 

DarrenSimons
Participant

I think it depends who the user is...

Office365 for me - I don't always want everything in the cloud, and Office works nicer with emails, tracked documents etc.

Excel addins are much more advanced than GSuite equivalent.

I do like google for collaborative working and for school/education environment I think gsuite is outstanding

sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey everyone! 

I'd like to know your thoughts about this debate: GSuite vs. Office 365

@Josh @Mike_Eastwood @AM8 @jimbanks @JonPayne @Dan1 @Joe-Kelp @Krystina @warrendavey @rikkilear 

Thank you

Sharon

JonPayne
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

Both systems work really well with HubSpot (though if you're using Outlook client on your PC for emails, the Sales Tools add in can sometimes cause Outlook to load slowly).

If all things were equal, I'd go GSuite all day long. Particularly if you're a growing business GSuite is a great choice because your new starters almost certainly already have Gmail and so the whole interface is something they're used to.

Reasons not to use GSuite? If you have Powerpoint documents that are 50+ slides long - Google Slides can be laggy when presenting, even online. If you have Excel Spreadsheets that require complex macros to run or are just 2,000 rows plus, unfortunatley we've found that Google Sheets isn't up to the task. We've found shared calendars to be problematic in GSuite too but I think that's more our process than Google 🙂

Which means that, at Noisy Little Monkey (where I work) we use Office 365 for email, calendars.

We use Powerpoint and Excel from Office 365.

We use Google Docs and Microsoft Word interchangably

And we store it all on Google's Drive File Steam. 

Ugh. For each user we have to pay for Office 365 AND GSuite but it gets the job done and I know we're not the only company who has to do that to make everything work.

I'd much prefer to be pure GSuite!

Digna
Contributor

My company pays has both G Suite and Office 365 also

Google slides with 50 pages?! 🤣😂🤣😂 Why??!?!

You might as well just turn that into a movie! 🤣

0 Upvotes
AdamLPW
Key Advisor

@JonPayne wrote:

...if you're using Outlook client on your PC for emails, the Sales Tools add in can sometimes cause Outlook to load slowly.

I feel your pain, Jon!  

If you uninstall the Office 365 add-in and reinstall the older Outlook add-in, it'll speed right up for you.  Here's a link to a recent community post where I documented my Support experience with getting this issue resolved, and the reason why the new add-in is slow.   

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"
Digna
Contributor

Yes, I had the same problem.. could not get it to go any faster.

But then an idea came to me, a very good idea.  

Immediately I ran down stairs and uninstalled outlook from my PC, and then I installed gmail in it's place, and that was all it needed!  Not one problem ever since! 😅

0 Upvotes