CRM

L_P
Contributor

Forms where contact can update their own data

SOLVE

Can I create a form to be sent out in eshot where a contact can update their own information on their own contact only? Eg their own address data, preferences, or whatever? 

IMPORTANT our contacts mostly do NOT come from form entries/signups in the first place, as we migrated from another CRM recently. 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @L_P,

That's a default feature of HubSpot forms: When a form field is filled out and then submitted, HubSpot automatically updates the contact record accordingly. The latest value overwrites the previous value, for example in an address field, should a contact submit a new address.

So if you wanted contacts to submit their latest information, you would create a HubSpot form with all relevant fields, place it on a landing page and send this landing page to those contacts.

Does that answer your question?

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
SSloan777
Participant

SOLVE

Incredible! Thank you for the prompt response, I'll take a look. In this context an eshot is an event posted on the Eshots.com service? That term is new to me.

0 Upvotes
L_P
Contributor

SOLVE

no worries. no, by the term "eshot" I mean email blast, mail campaign, mass email marketing, bulk email, circular - you get the idea. 

0 Upvotes
SSloan777
Participant

SOLVE
Ah, thanks again for clearing that up for me, much appreciated.
0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @L_P,

That's a default feature of HubSpot forms: When a form field is filled out and then submitted, HubSpot automatically updates the contact record accordingly. The latest value overwrites the previous value, for example in an address field, should a contact submit a new address.

So if you wanted contacts to submit their latest information, you would create a HubSpot form with all relevant fields, place it on a landing page and send this landing page to those contacts.

Does that answer your question?

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

L_P
Contributor

SOLVE

Ah thank you yes. I didn't realise that still worked even though it was not their original page they signed up. Also I realised to save the user time you can use query string in URL eg www.forms.uk?email=you@email.com. Great, thanks

0 Upvotes
SSloan777
Participant

SOLVE

@L_P, can I ask what the function of that query string is? Does it focus them on only updating their email? Is the email variable THEIR email? I want to do something similar but it involves gathering new data from existing customers, eg. their birthdate so that we can send them a present on their birthdays. @karstenkoehler feel free to chime in on this.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SSloan777,

@L_P already provided the knowledgebase article, this is definitely an option. Keep in mind that this method might have privacy implications as you're including information about the contact in an email. If that email is forwarded or accessed by a third party, they have all this information about the contact. Also, the information is included in plain text in the URL, not encrypted in any way – likely fine for information like first and last name, potentially problematic for more sensitive information.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

L_P
Contributor

SOLVE

firstly, this hubspot article probably answers it best - https://knowledge.hubspot.com/forms/can-i-auto-populate-form-fields-through-a-query-string 

secondly, that query string is to prefill form fields on their behalf with expected but not guaranteed information. So when the form is in a "dynamic place" for example the body of an eshot , where each user receives personal content, or within a logged in website page or something .

Good luck