CRM

WS

First time importing and setting up properties

SOLVE

Hi

I have just started  and I want to import a data list with 10 categories of Contacts.  Then I want to be able to email the categories seperately.

What's the best way to do this?

Would it be to first customise properties and then add that to a Property column in the csv file before importing?

I want to get the setup right from the start.

Thanks

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hello WS!

The best way is indeed to first create (or identify fitting) fields in HubSpot and then, as a second step, prepare the excel file with the correct column names before you import the file.

Depending on how your categories are set up, you might find existing fields in HubSpot already, e.g. if your categories are based on geographic location like ZIP codes. If your categories do not fit with any existing property in HubSpot, you can have a look at property types here. If the categories are mutually exclusive, I'd recommend a dropdown select. Let's say you categorize by favorite ice cream flavor of your contacts and there can only be one, you'd create a property call "favorite ice cream flavor" and add your categories, "chocolate chip", "salted caramel" etc. as dropdown select options.

Next, you want to make sure that your Excel file has a column, filled with the exact values that you've just created within HubSpot, one for each row/contact. If you name the column in your Excel file "favorite ice cream flavor", HubSpot will automatically recognize and match the column to the new property during the import. You can also label the colum "flavor" and would then have to manually map the column to the field during the import.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Karsten

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hello WS!

The best way is indeed to first create (or identify fitting) fields in HubSpot and then, as a second step, prepare the excel file with the correct column names before you import the file.

Depending on how your categories are set up, you might find existing fields in HubSpot already, e.g. if your categories are based on geographic location like ZIP codes. If your categories do not fit with any existing property in HubSpot, you can have a look at property types here. If the categories are mutually exclusive, I'd recommend a dropdown select. Let's say you categorize by favorite ice cream flavor of your contacts and there can only be one, you'd create a property call "favorite ice cream flavor" and add your categories, "chocolate chip", "salted caramel" etc. as dropdown select options.

Next, you want to make sure that your Excel file has a column, filled with the exact values that you've just created within HubSpot, one for each row/contact. If you name the column in your Excel file "favorite ice cream flavor", HubSpot will automatically recognize and match the column to the new property during the import. You can also label the colum "flavor" and would then have to manually map the column to the field during the import.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Karsten

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.