CRM

BradDemers
Participant

Finding contacts that have multiple emails

SOLVE

Hello,

Is there a way to view, create or export a list of contacts that have more than one email address assigned to them?

I've discovered that some of our contacts have more than one address associated to them, perhaps due to an improperly imported list or a problem with a form. For instance, if I view contact John Doe's contact page, it shows him with emails john@gmail.com, john@hotmail.com and jane@yahoo.com.

However, when viewing a list of contacts, only the first email is being shown. I need to find out which contacts have more than one email assigned to them so that I can fix these erroneous entries. For instance, in the above example, jane@yahoo.com is supposed to be a separate person, and I'm not sure how they got merged. With a contact database of over 7,000 it would be very time-consuming to go through each contact separately.

1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Appologize for not knowing if this functionality is tied to a specific HubSpot product or tier (don't think it is) or remembering when it was released (very recently), but when exporting contacts from a VIEW you may now select "Export all emails for selected contacts" -- see images below.

Export all emails for selected contactsExport all emails for selected contacts

Export all email addresses for selected contacts -- RESULTSExport all email addresses for selected contacts -- RESULTS

Enjoy!

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
LawrenceOng

SOLVE

Instead of exporting all contacts to an excel file and searching that, there is a programmatic way to do it as well using the search API as documented at https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/api/crm/contacts.

In my opinion this is easier if there is a developer in the company who is able to do it.

Sample payload for the search API:

{
  "limit": 100,
  "after": 0,
  "filterGroups": [
    {
      "filters": [
        {
          "propertyName": "hs_additional_emails",
          "operator": "HAS_PROPERTY"
        }
      ]
    }
  ]
}

Using limit = 100 means we want to retrieve 100 at a time.

Using after = 0 means we want to start at page 1.  If there are more than 100 records, change after to 100 for page 2, and so on and so forth.

The response will be something like this:

{
  "total": 157,
  "results": [
    {
      "id": "841701",
      "properties": {
        "createdate": "2021-09-16T04:56:34.119Z",
        "email": "myemail@example.com",
        "firstname": null,
        "hs_object_id": "841701",
        "lastmodifieddate": "2023-05-17T01:00:23.348Z",
        "lastname": null
      },
      "createdAt": "2021-09-16T04:56:34.119Z",
      "updatedAt": "2023-05-17T01:00:23.348Z",
      "archived": false
    },
  ],
  "paging": {
    "next": {
      "after": "100"
    }
  }
}

The above shows that there is a total of 157 contacts with multiple emails.  The "paging" part shows that this is the first page, and the second page is "after 100".

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Lawrence

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Appologize for not knowing if this functionality is tied to a specific HubSpot product or tier (don't think it is) or remembering when it was released (very recently), but when exporting contacts from a VIEW you may now select "Export all emails for selected contacts" -- see images below.

Export all emails for selected contactsExport all emails for selected contacts

Export all email addresses for selected contacts -- RESULTSExport all email addresses for selected contacts -- RESULTS

Enjoy!

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
JannieEngen
Contributor

SOLVE

This helped me find which contacts that had more than 2 emailadresses and caused our integration to fail. Thanks! Not a solution to the problem (Hubspot should allow to build list to check number of emails), but a good workaround.

JessicaH
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @BradDemers,

Thanks for reaching out.

Currently, this is not a functionality of the tool. If you would like to see this implemented in the future, I would recommend sharing this idea in our ideas forum.

Take care!

Jess 

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, in dem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes