CRM

sabquek
Participant

Existing company domain with new HubSpot ID

Hi there, 

I've been trying to find a solution to this problem but I haven't had any luck, so I am posting my question here. 

Whenever a contact with an existing domain submits a form, HubSpot will automatically associate this contact with an existing company (sharing the same Company ID), making this contact our existing customer. 

However, in some cases we want the contact to be associated with a new company and new company ID,  due to location or market size.  For example, Shell Singapore will be handled by the team in Singapore, and Shell-Malaysia will be handled by our team in Selangor. 

Is there a way to separate these companies into individual companies with their own set of unique Company ID? This Company ID is an essential key for our ERP system to determine whether the companies belong to the same account.

Really appreciate it if someone has a solution for this issue. 

Thanks!  

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
sabquek
Participant

Hi Josh, 

Thanks for your reply! 

Based on my understanding, this method only works when we know that the parent companies and child companies exist? 

Would this method still apply if a new child company is created (not in existing database or list) e.g. through a form submission? In our case, it is an e-commerce registration form. 

To provide better context, please click here to view the screenshot.

You can see in the screenshot above that both the child company and parent company share the same HubSpot ID (aka Company ID). What we would like is for the child company to have a different Company ID from the parent company. 

Also, in response to 5), do these child companies still share the same Company ID as the parent company?

Thanks again! 

0 Upvotes
Josh
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

Hi @sabquek,

By default when you are automatically associating contacts with their company it will use the company domain. If you have multiple companies with the same domain name, it will associate the contacts with the first company that was created. 

We have come across a similar situation in the past. Here's what we did to solve.

1. We turned off all automatic company/contact association.
  2. We uploaded a list of parent companies only, including their domain name. We also added a property to these companies called "catch-all".
  3. We then uploaded child companies and contacts associated with child companies. We had to first get the company ID from HubSpot and we associated those contacts in that manner.
  4. We then turned the contact/company association back on.
  5. We created a smart list that creates a list of all contacts that are associated with a "catch-all" company so that they could be re-associated with the appropriate child company, or in your case, geographic region.

Not perfect, but it works well for our client.

I hope that helps!

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer