Emails in wrong deals as they have the same subject line

Highlighted
New Contributor

We have lots of enquiries coming into our works emails with the subject line "Media pack request".

If one of these requests turns into an active lead we create a deal card and add them to our sales pipeline. But when we go into a deal and look at the emails associated with this card we get 100's of emails that have nothing to do with this card. When you open the thread you can open these emails and they are all emails with the same subject line. As you can see in the last image these emails have no associations so shouldn't be in here. Hope you can help! Thanks

2019-12-31 11_02_44-Press release package.png2019-12-31 11_19_04-Press release package.png2019-12-31 11_25_05-Press release package.png

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
Highlighted
HubSpot Moderator

Hi @Muttley ,

Let's take a look and see what may be going on here! To start, were all of these emails sent using the Sequences tool by chance? Is "Media Pack Request" the title of the kcickoff email for this Sequence? Additionally, are there other instances where this behavior occured on a different Contact records? Let me know and I'll do some digging on my end to see what the root cause of the issue could be!

Thank you,
Kevin Campbell
HubSpot Community Team

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Hey Kevin

These emails were not sent using the Sequence tool (to be honest I don't know what that is).

If a potential lead requests a media pack from our website, we get an email coming into our outlook inbox, with the subject line "Media pack request" like this...2020-01-03 16_22_15-Inbox - matt.mccgwire@atomcontentmarketing.co.uk - Outlook.png

I then add them to our Hubspot with the email widget. Once I have set up a deal and their contact profile to the deal, I get all the emails I have had with them plus 140 other emails with other contacts who are not connected to the deal but they all have the same subject line, so their emails sync in the same card. 

If any deal has a contact that has an email with the subject line "Media pack request" we get  140+ emails. This email list keeps growing on everyone's deals as more people who are added to HubSpot have the same subject line when they first inquire.

Hope this helps!

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
HubSpot Moderator

Hi @Muttley ,

After partnering with an internal colleague I think that we have discovered how/why this is occuring!

Sometimes, threaded conversations on the contact or company timeline can get mixed up and include emails that are not associated with that particular contact or company record.

Within Outlook online and Office 365, it is possible to stay within one compose window or conversation view and send many iterations of the same email to different recipients, using either “reply-all,” or “forward” after each send to add a new recipient address.

Sending in this manner causes many of the emails sent this way to be incorrectly tagged with the same threadid. This occurs because Outlook passes the same threadid to HubSpot for different conversations that actually shouldn’t thead together within HubSpot.

This issue only occurs when users send emails in this specific way from their Outlook client. The initial email send can come from either the HS timeline or from Outlook client - what causes the undesired behavior is how the user is replying to emails. These “replies” can also be additional emails associated with the same thread.

To avoid this issue, please send (or reply to) each Sales email using a different compose window, and avoid using “reply-all” or “forward” options to send an additional email to a prospect.

If you have any further questions on this one please let me know!

Kevin Campbell
HubSpot Community Team

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Kevin 

Thanks for this! I've been quite bogged down in work so haven't had time to reply to this.

We don't actually use the 'Reply all' or 'Forward' options when replying. When an email comes in we just click Reply... Maybe the next best step would be for me to share my screen and show you how it works?

Cheers

Muttley

0 Upvotes