Email chain not being logged correctly

Occasional Contributor

I have sent a logged email to a Hubspot contact by email. Although the email is logged correctly, the response of the contact is logged as if I was the sender. Eg the short description at the top of the logged email says:

"You sent an email to Theo" (Theo is me) whereas it was sent to me by the contact.

Why is this happening?

0 Upvotes
14 Replies 14
Community Manager

Hi @theo

Can you please send along a link to the contact's record that this happened on (either here or through a private message)? 

Additional information that would be helpful: 

1. Is this an isolated incident or has it occurred for other contacts or other users? 

2. Did you send the email from within the CRM or from your inbox? If you sent it from your inbox, is your inbox connected or did you manually input the CRM? 

3. Can you get the email header for this specifc email. Click here for instructions.

I look forward to hearing back with this information so I can advise on next steps. 

Thank you,

Jenny

HubSpot Support

We are excited to announce that the Community will be launching a weekly newsletter on November 2, 2020!
0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @theo

Thank you for sending the contact record along. I took a look at the record and it does not appear that any emails are associating with the wrong sender on the contact's timeline. I believe what you may be referring to is the original email on the contact's timeline with re: in the subject line (this email is associating as having come from you, which it is based on the introduction to your contact in the email) which I can see is a response to an email sent by the contact; however if you look at the threading of the email, it is associating with you and your email because the original email was not send through HubSpot and is only tagged onto the bottom of your response. 

Please let me know if I can provide any additional assistance regarding this matter.

We are excited to announce that the Community will be launching a weekly newsletter on November 2, 2020!
0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

@jennysowyrda

Hello again.

The issue is not that the contact is the wrong one. The issue is that the "tagging" at the top of the email in the CRM is wrong. If you took a look at the contact you would see for example that above an email sent by the client says: "You sent an email to Theo Kallioras" who is me.

This is not correct. The email was sent to me not by me. The correct would be to say:

"[Contact Name] sent an email to Theo Kallioras"

How can this be fixed? If there are other members reading the contact's timeline they would have to open each email to see who sent what.

Regards,

Theo

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @theo can you please provide the name and date of the email that is inaccurately tagged? Based on the information you sent, I was looking at the July 13th email, which is what I referenced before in regards to the response vs. original email. I am not seeing any email that is incorrectly tagged based on the contact you provided as an example. 

Thank you, 

Jenny

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Hello @jennysowyrda,

I am resending the correct headers.

Thank you

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @theo

Thank you for sending the header along. The email that is associated with that header is logged correctly when I look at the contact record. 

I am going to send you a screenshot of what I am seeing on my end. If you are seeing something different than what I am seeing I would recommend clearing your cache and see if you can reproduce the behavior across multiple browsers. 

If the issue persists after taking these steps, can you please send along screenshots of what you are seeing on your end? 

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Hi Jenny,

I am facing this exact issue.

1. I sent a mail from my connected GMail inbox to a contact (rspoorthi108@gmail.com). This got logged into hubspot correctly. It says "You sent a tracked email to Spoorthi (rspoorthi108@gmail.com)"

2. The contact replied to the mail. This is getting logged INCORRECTLY in hubspot. It says "You sent an email to Hashid Hameed (hashid@codilar.com)"
This is wrong. It should say "Spoorthi sent an email to Hashid Hameed (hashid@codilar.com)"

Could you please rectify the issue?

Screenshots (1 & 2):

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

@hashid @theo 

Update: I have reached out to our development team regarding this issue to see if they can provide insight into why these emails are displaying incorrectly labeled. 

I will update this thread with further updates or insights. 

Thank you for your patience.

Jenny

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

@theo @hashid @mkoonrad can you please confirm whether other users in your portals are seeing the same thing with the timelines showing "you" (instead of the actual sender) or are they seeing the information logged correctly? 

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
Top Contributor

@jennysowyrda I'm just only one person company. Maybe someone else can check this.

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor
The other user sees the same also
0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @theo

They are seeing "you sent an email to xyz@abc.com" as well (as opposed to "Theo sent an email to xyz@abc.com")? 

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Ok, now I understood your question. My colleague sees it correctly, i.e. Fatema ... sent a message to Theo ... 

Community Manager

Hi @theo @mkoonrad @hashid

The issue involving timelines showing incorrect labeling of logged emails on contacts' timelines has been resolved and you should be able to see the correct information logged on contact timelines. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Jenny

0 Upvotes