CRM

Jane

Duplicated imports on import.

SOLVE

Hello,

I have a master excel list, that contains contacts and companies as far as HubSpot is concerned however some of our contacts are individual buyers who don't have a company...

I have uploaded a CSV including some new properties that I want to capture. I got a lot of error messages and only some items synced with the contact/company profile. I researched why and tried the import a further 6 times. Importing the same excel under contacts and the same again for companies selecting different properties for each. I ended up with duplicates of the same company/contact.

How can I fix this from the excel without having to go back in and update each contact property that was missed (over 500) so really hoping I don't have to 😞   

1 Accepted solution
roisinkirby
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hello @Jane @marvinpsn,

HubSpot will use the Company Domain Name property to de-duplicate companies in your portal. Upon import, the importer tool will look at the values for each company's Company Domain Name property, as long as they match each other exactly, and form a valid URL. If the above two conditions are not met, i.e. if a Comany Domain Name is not included in your portal the companies will not be deduplicated.

As for contacts, these are deduplicated based on email address so be sure to include Email as one of the column headers. When you import a contact that is already in your database, that contact record will be updated with any new property values from your CSV file. In the CRM, it is possible to upload contacts without an email address, but keep in mind that if an email address is not provided, deduplication will not occur.

If you've followed the above processes correctly and are still seeing Companies/Contacts not getting deduplicated, would you please send me a private message with links to two companies who you would have expected to become one? I will the investigate further.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
TLu

SOLVE

Hi, I have a very urgent question:

We currently have many duplicated contacts due to submissions using free email, and we cannot just block free emails in our case. Let's say these free email users only have First Name, Last Name and Emails (which are personal emails) in HubSpot, and I am trying to import a list of users with First Name, Last Name, Emails (which are work emails), Company Name, is it possible to overwrite the same contact and update with the work email imported?

0 Upvotes
NLukinov

SOLVE

Hello to every one,

I have the issue, I've imported contacts with companies assigned, but although each company has the same domain name and same URL, they've all duplicated, and now I am required to use PAID tool or manually deduplicate.

So now even this automated feature is only for users who pay?

0 Upvotes
marvinpsn

SOLVE

Same problem here...

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hello @Jane @marvinpsn,

HubSpot will use the Company Domain Name property to de-duplicate companies in your portal. Upon import, the importer tool will look at the values for each company's Company Domain Name property, as long as they match each other exactly, and form a valid URL. If the above two conditions are not met, i.e. if a Comany Domain Name is not included in your portal the companies will not be deduplicated.

As for contacts, these are deduplicated based on email address so be sure to include Email as one of the column headers. When you import a contact that is already in your database, that contact record will be updated with any new property values from your CSV file. In the CRM, it is possible to upload contacts without an email address, but keep in mind that if an email address is not provided, deduplication will not occur.

If you've followed the above processes correctly and are still seeing Companies/Contacts not getting deduplicated, would you please send me a private message with links to two companies who you would have expected to become one? I will the investigate further.

pravin

SOLVE

Hi

When I try to visit the link for the solution I get

You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

0 Upvotes
theOctopus

SOLVE

To clarify. Hubspot prevents duplicates using the "email" field. Not the "work email" field.

I seem to have many duplicates having used the "work email" field.

0 Upvotes
JessicaH
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @theOctopus,

Thanks for reaching out.

You are correct. HubSpot deduplicates based on the property "email address" and not the property "work email".

This article might be helpful as well.

Take care!

Jess 

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, in dem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
pauleastasia
Participant

SOLVE

Trying to find a solution for duplicates...the above link gives me this error "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action"

0 Upvotes
Abbey

SOLVE

Hi! 

We have a customer at the agency that has a very large database and they have never used Hubspot CRM before, so we are doing the initial configuration of all the contact properties. They will start working with the CRM by doing a pilot test with only 2 sales executives and a portion of the database. My question is: If sales executives start working on those contacts and information is recorded in the user's time line, when we upload the complete database to the CRM, the contact's properties are overwritten? Or do you save everything that is already in the time line and only update the data that was not before?

0 Upvotes
loomisjane

SOLVE

My contacts have now been duplicated 3 times? I uploaded once for Companies and another for Contacts. I forgot to add email line so I uploaded Contacts a 2nd time thinking it would duplicate...Looking now I have 3 of same conacts and I want to just undo the import I uploaded the 2nd time for Contacts? 

PLEASE ADVISE...

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @Jane I have received your private message, but wanted to reach out on the thread for anybody else viewing the conversation facing the same problem.

Can you confirm if you have crosschecked your imports with the above information on what factors must be in place to avoid duplication?

0 Upvotes
Jane

SOLVE

I am about to do another import. I will let you know if it happens again.

Kind regard

Jane

0 Upvotes