CRM

mountainkoala

Do I have to make custom properties as exactly same as how I will make it in the form?

SOLVE

Hello

Curretly, I am using Zoho CRM/Form and I want to migrate to Hubspot. Let's pretend I am a doctor then easy to understad.

I have very long dynamic forms (Zoho forms) with many drop-down choices my potential patients need to fill.  Took many hours to make this form.

Most fields are non-CRM standard questions (symtoms, isnruance company etc,) Some fields are text some are drop down. And when forms are filled, those fields populate contact's properties in Zoho CRM.

Now, before I must commit to subscriptions of Hubspot, (especially now I need to commit 12 months), I want to see how things work. 

So I am trying to import the contact list from Zoho. Of course I need to have custom fields pre-made (or make  them as I import) in Hubspot.  When I tried to make a new property, it asks "field type." and "show in forms" check mark.

Here, I want to make sure I don't screw up.

I want the new property to be filled by form (for now, integrate with Zoho form but eventually will make Hubspot form).  Does this mean;

1) Do I need to check mark the "show in form"??

2) In another words, what you mean by "form"?  This is the form I will put on my webpage (or stand alone, embed) for my potential patients to fill, right?  Not some kind of form internally used (because I don't have team member).

3) without "show in form" checked, I cannot have my forms populated this property?

4) Do I need to make exact same field type and exactly same dropdown choices as how it is in the form?  For instance, in the form, I have about 10 different insurance companies in dropdown list. Do I have to make Hubspot property "insurance" as dropdown and make 10 different choices BEFORE I import client list?

The reason I am asking is, I have so many custom fields and so many dropdown choices, it will take a loooong time before I can import contacts. 

But I don't want to import/map in a way I need to re-do all over again.

Thank you so much for your help

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
cathalhopper
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Do I have to make custom properties as exactly same as how I will make it in the form?

SOLVE

Hi @mountainkoala 🙂 I hope all is well with you!

1) If you're going to use the properties in HubSpot forms at some point you should keep the "show in forms" checked, otherwise when you want to use these in forms you'll have to go back and later check this!

2) A HubSpot Form is referring to a form as you've outlined - a form you'll add to your webpage for example for visitors to your website to fill out

3)  Correct, if you do not have Show in forms ticked then you will not be able to use that property as a form field until it is ticket

4) Correct again, you'll want to create the appropriate field type and add in all of the options prior to importing your contacts with this information

While you mentioned it will take a long time to set up your properties, it's best to have this all set up correctly first go rather than revisiting it at a later point when you have that data living in different properties than the intended, as it can get messy cleaning everything up then!

Best,
Cathal 🙂

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
cathalhopper
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @mountainkoala 🙂 I hope all is well with you!

1) If you're going to use the properties in HubSpot forms at some point you should keep the "show in forms" checked, otherwise when you want to use these in forms you'll have to go back and later check this!

2) A HubSpot Form is referring to a form as you've outlined - a form you'll add to your webpage for example for visitors to your website to fill out

3)  Correct, if you do not have Show in forms ticked then you will not be able to use that property as a form field until it is ticket

4) Correct again, you'll want to create the appropriate field type and add in all of the options prior to importing your contacts with this information

While you mentioned it will take a long time to set up your properties, it's best to have this all set up correctly first go rather than revisiting it at a later point when you have that data living in different properties than the intended, as it can get messy cleaning everything up then!

Best,
Cathal 🙂

mountainkoala

SOLVE

I can tell the platform is built by very smart people and of course I've got an amazing support, too! Thanks so much

caldwelljt
Participant

SOLVE

This would have been nice to know before I imported my data. I have a similar issue with facebook leads forms, which I assumed would "just work" through facebook intigration. Now I have linked them in and can't create similar dropdown boxes in hubspot and am looking at totally rewriting my lead forms with altered field names (after creating them in hubspot) and then only after creating them all in hubspot, that or find another CRM that will allow changes after creation.

In short, there is an implicit expectation in HubSpot that isn't stated anywhere. Namely you are expected to be getting a CRM before you do anything else.

If you are moving to the platform from anywhere else, I must fully know and understand the product before I buy it (and despite being told otherwise, the trial is crippled in areas I am only finding out through much trial and error, while trying to set it up).

0 Upvotes