CRM

nfr-dyer

Difference between Log to CRM and Track Email

SOLVE

Hi there. 

I'm trying to get a clear definition on this but struggling to find it out there. Probably easier to explain what I want rather than what's happening. I want to use Hubspot as basic CRM. I've connected it to my Outlook so that it can include any emails I send to my 'Contacts' on Hubspot. I don't particularly want to find out when the email has been read. I just want the email to be logged under the contact in Hubspot so there's a record. What option do I click for this - Log to CRM or Track Email?

Secondly, how do I stop Hubspot from creating a contact for every person I send an email to?

Thanks.

nfr-dyer

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @nfr-dyer

To record an email you send in the CRM, you want to use the 'log to CRM' option. Leave 'track email' unchecked as this is what gives you the open notifications. 

To prevent HubSpot creating a contact when you send an email, uncheck log to CRM. 

Note: log to CRM works like a toggle - so when you start a new email, it will be in the same condition you last left it in. So if it was on, it will be on again - and vice versa. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @nfr-dyer

To record an email you send in the CRM, you want to use the 'log to CRM' option. Leave 'track email' unchecked as this is what gives you the open notifications. 

To prevent HubSpot creating a contact when you send an email, uncheck log to CRM. 

Note: log to CRM works like a toggle - so when you start a new email, it will be in the same condition you last left it in. So if it was on, it will be on again - and vice versa. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
nfr-dyer

SOLVE

Thank you for clarifying. And the very quick response.

That makes perfect sense.

Although, I think automatically creating a contact when Log to CRM is ticked is a bit of a flaw. You should be asked if you want to create this as a New Contact or simply be expected to click 'Add to Contacts' rather than it presuming. This is because the majority of my emails are not sales related, but purely enquiry or communication and I don't want these in my sales CRM.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

0 Upvotes
JCrowNM
Contributor

SOLVE

You can set the default for Log Emails in CRM to off. You can also build an exclusion for say internal emails - such as any emails to anyone whose email ends in *@mycompanydomain.com.