Delete email address from contact record

SOLVE
Occasional Contributor

How do I simply delete an email address from a contact record... Each time I try to delete it and save, the old email pops up again. I just want to remove the old incorrect email until I get the correct one to replace it..... How to do dat? Smiley Happy

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
HubSpot Employee

Hello @pvinci,

Thank you for your question!

Once a contact has an email address added to their contact record, the Email property cannot be replaced by a blank value, it can only be replaced by another email address.  I certainly understand the logic behind wanting to clear it out, but the tool isn't built to allow that to happen.  

A couple workarounds that might help are:

- Remove the contact record entirely, and create a new one without an email address.  The downside to this is that any data associated with the current contact record will be lsot if you delete the contact record.

- Create a custom contact property that acts as a flag to indicate which contacts need to have their email address updated.  Once you change the email address you can remove the value from the custom contact proeprty so you'll know that the email address is then the valid one.  I picture the property as a single checkbox property like "Need updated email address" and you can check the box if so and leave it blank if not.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Brett

29 Replies
HubSpot Employee

Hello @pvinci,

Thank you for your question!

Once a contact has an email address added to their contact record, the Email property cannot be replaced by a blank value, it can only be replaced by another email address.  I certainly understand the logic behind wanting to clear it out, but the tool isn't built to allow that to happen.  

A couple workarounds that might help are:

- Remove the contact record entirely, and create a new one without an email address.  The downside to this is that any data associated with the current contact record will be lsot if you delete the contact record.

- Create a custom contact property that acts as a flag to indicate which contacts need to have their email address updated.  Once you change the email address you can remove the value from the custom contact proeprty so you'll know that the email address is then the valid one.  I picture the property as a single checkbox property like "Need updated email address" and you can check the box if so and leave it blank if not.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Brett

Please make this change.

It's unbelievable not to be able to change our own data.

Or try to detect / tag wrong email adresses.

For example : some of my email adresses are wrong (the contact leaves his company, but i still need to keep him as i want to be in touch in the futur). 

Community Manager

Hi @Elliot

Thank you for providing feedback regarding the how the product is currently working. If you do want to be able to update the email address, I would recommend adding a personal email address until you have a new professional email address for the user. If you would like the functionality to change, I would recommend creating an idea in our ideas forum so that our developers can see your idea, other users can vote for your idea, and to increase the likelihood of your idea being implemented in the future. 

Thank you,

Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
New Contributor

I also have this problem. I let someone put their email address in through a form from my computer and now both email addresses are assigned to me.

~Dmac9000

New Contributor

Nevermind. It resolved after I logged back in.

~Dmac9000

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

I agree there should be a blank option for email adress.

I stumbled across this lovely "feature" when I found out a valuable contact changed jobs but I didn't have the current email adress at that time.

My choices at the momentare: Leave the old adress or create a fantasy adress. 

Both options do not relect the reality. 

#Please fix

Regular Contributor

@ASHUMMELT

We need this feature as well, although for a different reason. We have a few contact records that contain legitimate notes and history, but the email address has always been wrong.

However, for your needs (contact leaves company) I would suggest you look into the Lead Status field and filters. For us, once an account rep learns that someone has left a company, we set lead status to "No Longer With Company". Now the dead contact can be filtered from view and automatically removed from future marketing emails. Leaving the old contact record as is does not present a problem. Once our people reconnect at this person's new job we create a new contact record at the new company with a note pointing back to his previous record. This allows us to preserve the full record of where they came from and what they did at the old company while continuing the relationship.

Occasional Contributor

I'll just put in a hubspot support or sales email address in that field.

Then your software can be all happy, and any unwanted email it forces me to create can go back home where it belongs.

New Contributor

This is phenomenally lame and is one of the reasons we might leave Hubspot. We simply do not have email addresses for many of our contacts, and we cannot get them. When we imported contacts into Hubspot, it auto-fiilled with wrong email addresses, and now we can't get them out. I created a fake one, cantfind@cantfind.com, and now it won't let me use that more than once. Please fix!! This is so stupid.

Regular Contributor

My company is having the same issue. As a marketer, I want to remove any invalid email addresses to keep our email accounts healthy. My Sales team, however, needs a record of companies, deals, etc., even after our contact has left the position—so that they can follow up with whoever takes over that account and still have a history to reference. 

We need an easy way to split an email off of a contact property. 

Occasional Contributor

Every day it's a new problem with Hubspot!  Every day it's "Find a workaround" for something. And it seems to take years to get something fixed. Not being able to leave the email address blank is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. 

And yes, months of frustration is starting to wear on me, and on the CEO.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Brett,

any update on this, we entered an email address for a different lead into a contact profile and now cannot delete it, and also probably cannot add this to the correct record. The one we want to delete it from, we do not have an email address for this, we have a lot of contacts with no address, so very important to just be able to remove it without replaceing it with something else.

New Contributor

I added the wrong email - one for another contact - to another contact. I was able to fix the other one, but this one is still attached - only through HISTORY - to this other contact.

What do I do?

SM

Community Manager

Hi @FixMyInfo ,

Can you please share the two email addresses involved (the one you would like removed, and the one that is associated with it now)? 

You can share this through direct message or through this thread.

Thank you,

Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Top Contributor

agree this is required. we have clients that give us thier worke mail and then move jobs, and it can be a while before we get a new email - and we keep in touch via phone. Also we are in South Africa and a lot of our clients dont even have an email address. I dont want to keep putting contacts on email lists when I know they dont have a valid email. 

Kaj
Occasional Contributor

This restriction is really not well thought out. We have plenty of contacts where we only have phone numbers and no email addresses, what are we supposed to do with those? It's making it very hard to automate processes. It would be nice to at least have the choice between phone number or email as required fields, not solely email.  

Occasional Contributor

Yup. New HubSpot user here too and I'm in the process of cleaning up our contact list. There are contacts that have left their old jobs but are still valuable. We just need to find their new emails! I have them associated with the new company they're working at, however their contact page still shows their old company logo as their contact photo due to their old email address! In order to correct that I had to make a dud email address Smiley Sad 

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

I agree!  I have the same problem!  HubSpot, this needs to be fixed ASAP!!!

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

This surely can't be a feature someone actually designed? Contacts move all the time and it can be a while until we have new email addresses for them. Until then we just have old, incorrect data for them. I don't want to mark them as 'left company' as all other info can be updated, I just don't have an email yet. Please fix this!

0 Upvotes
BB1
Occasional Contributor

Hi - agree that this can be a pain. A simple solution would be renaming it fakeemail@ and the current domain, so you can filter out all emails that start with fakeemail@ and not have an issue with duplicates.

Kaj
Occasional Contributor

If you do this, you will end up re-updating the same contact constantly. (Hubspot will consider it as a duplicate and instead of creating a new contact, will update the contact that has the email "fakeemail@". However, we found a workaround by instead doing fakeemail+(User ID, phone number, or anything you have on a contact that is unique to that contact). This will make sure a new contact is created. 

BB1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for clarifying. I think that is what I intended - to have a string in the email which you will use to filter and block from sending, and it will need to be unique. You are explaining how to make it unique.

New Contributor

Two years later, and this still hasn't been fixed, Hubspot? This makes no sense. Every other CRM allows you to remove a bad email, why not this one? This is extremely annoying.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,  This one really baffles us here.  There are many cases where we need there to be A contact without an email or we do not know what the email is yet.   

New Contributor

I found a temporary work around

change the first part of the email address to unknown.  Messy but works for me.

New Contributor

Yes, I already do something similar...bobFAKEEMAIL@whatever.com

New Contributor

How do you do this in a workflow?

Top Advisor

@pvinci i choose to use a placeholder DNU (do not  use) before the bad email address. I also use a custom lead status - email needed

New Contributor

It would be fantastic if the function to delete an incorrect email from a contact record were added! I just ran into the same issue!