CRM

vc15

Deduplicate based on a field other than Company Domain?

SOLVE

Hello - hoping for some help.  Evaluating Hubspot and having a few challenges. 

First is that most of our customers don't have websites, so we don't use the Company Domain field.  Instead, our differentiator is the Name field where each is unique (the name of the customer).

I've got some revised data and I'm trying to upload it to update our company records, but I can't figure out how to do it without it duplicating every single company.  I'm reading that it deduplicates based on Company Domain.  How can I do this instead on Name because we don't have Company Domain field populated?  

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @vc15

HubSpot does indeed deduplicate only on company domain name or website URL. Without these, importing companies will create duplicates. 

If there is no domain name available, the only thing I can think to do is to export all companies and delete them from HubSpot, update them all manually in Excel and then reimport. 

If you want to prevent this happening over and over, perhaps you could create a false domain name for your accounts? 

Hope this help.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
ck2018
Participant

SOLVE

Hey @vc15, @Phil_Vallender, if you're open to using a tool for deduping based on any company property, you're welcome to check out our tool, we're certified HubSpot partner: https://www.insycle.com/hubspot/ 

Insycle can help you both merge existing duplicate companies manually or in bulk, and import new companies and match csv rows to HubSpot companies by any field (name/phone/etc) so that you don't create duplicates as part of the import. 

0 Upvotes
KKRetic
Participant

SOLVE

That would be super handy. We're a small company dealing with retic and much of our work comes through real estate agents, so we have about 1000 contacts that have duplicate email addresses, so we need to be able to dedup based on street address instead. Unfortunately Hubspot seems to be inflexible in that regard.

Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @vc15

HubSpot does indeed deduplicate only on company domain name or website URL. Without these, importing companies will create duplicates. 

If there is no domain name available, the only thing I can think to do is to export all companies and delete them from HubSpot, update them all manually in Excel and then reimport. 

If you want to prevent this happening over and over, perhaps you could create a false domain name for your accounts? 

Hope this help.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
0 Upvotes