CRM

MBQ

Dealing with Contacts whose email changes

SOLVE

Hi, I wonder how the change of a contact affects the deal history and company history? I.e. I want to keep the historical records of the contact to the company they were previously associated with, do I have to create two separate contacts (with two different e-mail addresses) in order to keep the historical information or can I update the contact with a new e-mail address and the "old" information will stay linked to their "old" job?

Cheers

//Martin

2 Accepted solutions
ChrisoKlepke
Solution
Key Advisor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hey @MBQ ,

you can actually use multiple email addresses on the same contact. Read here for more information on that. Adding a new email address and changing the primary one does not affect any associations with Deals, Companies or other objects.

Kindly let me know if this helps.

Cheers, 

Chriso

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MBQ,

If you have a new email address for a contact, then there are different opinions on how to best proceed. Personally, I'd recommend creating a new contact record as the majority of their engagement (history) was related to their role at the previous company – instead of updating the email address on the old record. (Or in other words, I wouldn't rely on segmenting or automating based on the earlier information as it might not be accurate to their new situation.)

There isn't any option that lets you display all property values associated to email 1 and then switch to see all property values associated to email 2. Or in other words, if you change the email address, the rest of the contact record will still show the old company name, the old job title etc. Hence my above suggestion.

To keep the "link" between the old and new, should you decide to keep the old record, I'd pin a note to the top of each contact record that includes a link to the other contact record, for easy reference.

Alternatively, you'd have to review the contact record in-depth to make sure that all values are now accurate to the person's new job/role, otherwise personalization might go wrong.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MBQ,

If you have a new email address for a contact, then there are different opinions on how to best proceed. Personally, I'd recommend creating a new contact record as the majority of their engagement (history) was related to their role at the previous company – instead of updating the email address on the old record. (Or in other words, I wouldn't rely on segmenting or automating based on the earlier information as it might not be accurate to their new situation.)

There isn't any option that lets you display all property values associated to email 1 and then switch to see all property values associated to email 2. Or in other words, if you change the email address, the rest of the contact record will still show the old company name, the old job title etc. Hence my above suggestion.

To keep the "link" between the old and new, should you decide to keep the old record, I'd pin a note to the top of each contact record that includes a link to the other contact record, for easy reference.

Alternatively, you'd have to review the contact record in-depth to make sure that all values are now accurate to the person's new job/role, otherwise personalization might go wrong.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

ChrisoKlepke
Solution

SOLVE

Hey @MBQ ,

you can actually use multiple email addresses on the same contact. Read here for more information on that. Adding a new email address and changing the primary one does not affect any associations with Deals, Companies or other objects.

Kindly let me know if this helps.

Cheers, 

Chriso