CRM

rdolmat
Contributor

Deal details vs description?

SOLVE

Hey all

I'm not really sure what the difference between Deal Details and Deal Description is. How do you use the two fields?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @rdolmat. Deal Description is a standard text property on deals, used for entering any specific notes you like. 

I'm not seeing a property called "Deal Details" in my portal, so that's probably something that's been created custom on your side. In general, you'll want to avoid creating properties which have the potential to duplicate standard properties (assuming they're not being used for some clear and specific purpose that the standard property is unable to). It has the potential to create ambiguity and destandardize your data. 

You may want to consider exporting any deals with a Details value, reimporting those values in the Description field, then remove the custom property. If you head down this path, you'll also want to export Description values, to make sure you're appending existing values, and not overwriting.

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @rdolmat. Deal Description is a standard text property on deals, used for entering any specific notes you like. 

I'm not seeing a property called "Deal Details" in my portal, so that's probably something that's been created custom on your side. In general, you'll want to avoid creating properties which have the potential to duplicate standard properties (assuming they're not being used for some clear and specific purpose that the standard property is unable to). It has the potential to create ambiguity and destandardize your data. 

You may want to consider exporting any deals with a Details value, reimporting those values in the Description field, then remove the custom property. If you head down this path, you'll also want to export Description values, to make sure you're appending existing values, and not overwriting.

0 Upvotes
rdolmat
Contributor

SOLVE

Ah. ok perhaps that was something I made long ago and forgot about? Here's a screenshot from my deals page...so, no one else has the "detail" field?

Dang. ok I should do what you recommended. Thank you!

download.png

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

I just tried searching across deal properties in my portal, and I'm not seeing anything, only the standard Description property. You may want to review all deal properties in your portal, to see if any other similarly-named, potentially-duplicated properties can be consolidated. 

[Edit: If you also have HubSpot's Marketing product, you'll be able to review more information about who created the deal property, and when it was last updated. If you or another user created the Details property, you'll be able to see it from Contacts Settings > Deal Properties.]

rdolmat
Contributor

SOLVE

Excellent, thanks so much.