CRM

LanceHaverkamp

Data cleaning: merge fields

SOLVE

I need to do data cleaning; like merging fields because we have State & State/Region.

...and for some bizzare reason contacts who sign-up on our website form create an additional State field rather than using the existing State field. 

Where are written instructions for how to merge fields, and prevent wibsite forms from creating duplicate fields? 

Thanks,
Lance

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @LanceHaverkamp. There's no explicit function to merge properties together - the closest that's natively available is a help article on merging picklist choices on a picklist property. 

In a practical sense, you'll want to solve for this by exporting all contacts (or all contacts with values on either property) with the unwanted property's value, then pass the desired value to the desired property via import or workflow. Once that's complete, you can delete the unwanted property from your portal. 

The option to delete properties only exists if it's a custom property you'd created. You will not have the ability to delete out-of-the-box properties. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @LanceHaverkamp. There's no explicit function to merge properties together - the closest that's natively available is a help article on merging picklist choices on a picklist property. 

In a practical sense, you'll want to solve for this by exporting all contacts (or all contacts with values on either property) with the unwanted property's value, then pass the desired value to the desired property via import or workflow. Once that's complete, you can delete the unwanted property from your portal. 

The option to delete properties only exists if it's a custom property you'd created. You will not have the ability to delete out-of-the-box properties. 

LanceHaverkamp

SOLVE

OK, I fix them manually...then how do I get your wordpress form importer to honor out-of-the-box field names, (like address, state, zip, etc) rather than creating duplicate fields with the same name?

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

I'm not certain about that, as I haven't used that tool recently enough to be able to answer. In general, if mapping options aren't configurable, or there isn't a way for you to see a HubSpot property, it's probably not something you'll have control over.