CRM

LineDrive
Contributor

Customizing HubSpot for specific industries

SOLVE

I am an employee insurance benefits broker.  I use Hubspot to keep track of prospect and for marketing.  I can always continue with Hubspot to track my contacts with companies and individuals that become clients of mine.  My question is about setting up "tables" or "screens" with custom fields that summarize plans, policy numbers, effective dates, etc.

Is Hubspot an appropriate tool for this or am I better off finding an out of the box CRM that's meant for my industry and linking it to Hubspot?   I will appreciate any advice you can offer.

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LineDrive,

The majority of the (custom) reporting in HubSpot is object-based, which means that it always relates to a contact, company, deal or ticket. This comes with some obvious limitations: A contact might have multiple plans or policies, which mean they cannot be stored in a structured way on a contact record. Custom HubSpot properties (the container for this information) are not flexible enough for that. If you have more than on plan or policy per contact, you'll run into some reporting limitations very quickly.

Custom objects (available on the Enterprise tier) would be a solution here. Plans or policies could be created as a custom object. Like other objects, you could then associate multiple plan or policies with one contact, for example. Once created, you could report on this information. Before you do that, I'd recommend browsing the community a bit, custom objects are a fairly new product and they don't offer the full functionality of default objects just yet.

As an alternative, yes, you could look into third-party solutions on the HubSpot app marketplace.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

webdew
Solution
Guide | Diamond Partner
Guide | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LineDrive ,

In my opinion, you need not wander off to look for an entirely new CRM to customize HubSpot reports. You can surely use HubSpot reporting dashboards for custom reports.
Although, the custom reporting in HubSpot is object-based, with contact, company, deal, and ticket being the standard objects. However, you can create your own custom object and get reports around the same. You will require an Enterprise subscription and use CRM Custom Objects API to create a custom object.
Besides HubSpot’s in-built reporting tool, you can also create custom dashboards by importing your HubSpot data into third-party tools like   Google Data Studio and Geckoboard

Hope this helps!

If we were able to answer your query, kindly help the community by marking it as a solution.

Thanks and Regards.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
LineDrive
Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you for your answers @webdew and @karstenkoehler.  I now understand that I will have to upgrade to the Enterprise version of HubSpot to track the multiple products and services that I set up for each of my clients.  

webdew
Solution
Guide | Diamond Partner
Guide | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LineDrive ,

In my opinion, you need not wander off to look for an entirely new CRM to customize HubSpot reports. You can surely use HubSpot reporting dashboards for custom reports.
Although, the custom reporting in HubSpot is object-based, with contact, company, deal, and ticket being the standard objects. However, you can create your own custom object and get reports around the same. You will require an Enterprise subscription and use CRM Custom Objects API to create a custom object.
Besides HubSpot’s in-built reporting tool, you can also create custom dashboards by importing your HubSpot data into third-party tools like   Google Data Studio and Geckoboard

Hope this helps!

If we were able to answer your query, kindly help the community by marking it as a solution.

Thanks and Regards.

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LineDrive,

The majority of the (custom) reporting in HubSpot is object-based, which means that it always relates to a contact, company, deal or ticket. This comes with some obvious limitations: A contact might have multiple plans or policies, which mean they cannot be stored in a structured way on a contact record. Custom HubSpot properties (the container for this information) are not flexible enough for that. If you have more than on plan or policy per contact, you'll run into some reporting limitations very quickly.

Custom objects (available on the Enterprise tier) would be a solution here. Plans or policies could be created as a custom object. Like other objects, you could then associate multiple plan or policies with one contact, for example. Once created, you could report on this information. Before you do that, I'd recommend browsing the community a bit, custom objects are a fairly new product and they don't offer the full functionality of default objects just yet.

As an alternative, yes, you could look into third-party solutions on the HubSpot app marketplace.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.