Custom Properties - label vs internal value

SOLVE
Esteemed Advisor

Every time I have set up a custom property the label copies itself to the internal value. Not sure when this happened but more than 1 in my list of 139 the label and internal value is different. Field is set for dropdown select. 

Constants - 

I am the only active user currently

I did not do this. 

This field listing in many companies is underlined as invalid.

Goal - 

determine what happened 

ensure this can not happen again

make appropriate adjustments

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Regular Advisor | Silver Partner

Hi Chris

This is a bit tedious but it works (I've tested it). For all the values with commas you'll have to paste them in one by one like this:

1. Go to the Property Editor (Settings > Properties > Your Property)

2. Edit your Property

3. Choose "Load Options"

4. Chose "Paste in your own options"

5A. Paste in one option at a time:

John (Jack) Gardener, Pamela Lowe; john_jack_garderner_pamela_lowe

You can see I added underscores instad of spaces for the internal value that's because I'm a geek (that's how you'd write it in code) and it makes it easier to see that its a valiable not a label.

5B. Then you can specifiy the delimiter in your list. I chose a semi-colon so HubSpot will ignore the comma (which is the default delimiter).

5C. Choose "Add to current options"

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 12.49.10 PM.png

6. Go back to Step 3 and repeat for eaach option.

In theory we should be able to paste a list of options and add them all at once but I could never get it to work.

Have fun

Mike

7 Replies 7

Hey Chris,

Were the any "special characters" in the label?

I've seen a comma, in a label, mess with the internal value and it's not apparent until you save the change.

Mike

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor

@Mike_Eastwood Good question.  There could be commas and parenthesis.  The red circle I fixed yesterday there was one name in each.  The black circle was not changed.

As this is an important selection, would I be better with a radio select instead of a dropdown? How best to have multiple names?

Thank you.

Untitled.png

0 Upvotes
Highlighted

Hi Chris

This is a bit tedious but it works (I've tested it). For all the values with commas you'll have to paste them in one by one like this:

2. Edit your Property

3. Choose "Load Options"

You can see I added underscores instad of spaces for the internal value that's because I'm a geek (that's how you'd write it in code) and it makes it easier to see that its a valiable not a label.

5B. Then you can specifiy the delimiter in your list. I chose a semi-colon so HubSpot will ignore the comma (which is the default delimiter).

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 12.49.10 PM.png

6. Go back to Step 3 and repeat for eaach option.

In theory we should be able to paste a list of options and add them all at once but I could never get it to work.

Have fun

Mike

Advisor

I have had the comma issue before. It happened when I was copying and pasting text strings that had a comma in it. When I pasted it, it ended at the comma

For example --- "This, is a test" --- if I copied and pasted it this would show up -- "This"

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor

@HubSpotMaster  Interesting thanks for sharing.  For me, all the items were there as expected and then somehow they changed.  I do not have the date they changed. Trying to look at the property history. There was an anomaly where the text was underlined in red on records. Not sure if I asked a question on it.

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor

@Mike_Eastwood THANK YOU. Easier is not a requirement. I will tackle this now.

Esteemed Advisor

@Mike_Eastwood OH NO, maybe I can't Follow directions.   I was missing Aaron Werner, Jason Tu. I know this as they are red underlined in the CRM and I searched for them in properties where they were missing.

I did this - 

2. Edit your Property

3. Choose "Load Options"

and they were there three times

0 Upvotes