CRM

plevintampabay

Custom Contact Lists ??

SOLVE

Is it possible to create a custom list - a list that I give a name to.

Then when I import Contacts or people submit an opt-in form, they would be set as a member of this custom list.

I could also add the Contact to other custom lists manually.

Later I could email and market to the Contacts in these custom lists.

Is this possible?

I'm wanting to use these lists like other CRMs use tags.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

Custom Contact Lists ??

SOLVE

Hi @plevintampabay 

First of all, its worth always remembering that HubSpot operates on single, universal contact database. Contacts in the database can have as many custom properties as you like that can be used to segment them. And a filter (CRM feature) or a list (Marketing Hub feature) are just saved, segmented views of that central database. 

To answer your question, you can create, name save filters in the contacts screen that only show you contacts who meet your criteria. 

If you have the marketing hub, you can create, name and save a list - which has more powerful segmentation options - of contacts that meet your criteria. You can also create a static list to which you add contacts manually, as opposed to automatically.

Either one of these can potentially be used to drive an email marketing campaign, but the way to do so would differ depending on the tools in your stack.  

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Phil_Vallender
Solution

Custom Contact Lists ??

SOLVE

Hi @plevintampabay 

First of all, its worth always remembering that HubSpot operates on single, universal contact database. Contacts in the database can have as many custom properties as you like that can be used to segment them. And a filter (CRM feature) or a list (Marketing Hub feature) are just saved, segmented views of that central database. 

To answer your question, you can create, name save filters in the contacts screen that only show you contacts who meet your criteria. 

If you have the marketing hub, you can create, name and save a list - which has more powerful segmentation options - of contacts that meet your criteria. You can also create a static list to which you add contacts manually, as opposed to automatically.

Either one of these can potentially be used to drive an email marketing campaign, but the way to do so would differ depending on the tools in your stack.  

Hope this helps.

gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

Custom Contact Lists ??

SOLVE

@Phil_Vallender I  have free CRM and both sales and marketing but never find the list creation. Would you share how to get there?  Thanks.

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender

Custom Contact Lists ??

SOLVE

Hi @gelflex-cc 

Lists is a feature that is available in Marketing Hub Starter and above. If you have them, you should find lists in the contacts menu. 

Hope this helps.

gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

Custom Contact Lists ??

SOLVE

@Phil_Vallender under my name is - admin contacts marketing sales

does this mean I  have free marketing?

Thanks.

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender

Custom Contact Lists ??

SOLVE

Hi @gelflex-cc 

If you click the account menu (top right) and choose account and billing followed by products and services it should tell you which marketing hub you have. 

If you don't have lists in the contacts menu, then you probably are on free. 

Hope this helps.

plevintampabay

Custom Contact Lists ??

SOLVE

Thank you for your answers everyone.

I have decided to use a different product.

Possibly in the future when these features are simplier and clearer to use I'll look again.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
plevintampabay

Custom Contact Lists ??

SOLVE

Thank you for that answer.

What was not covered in your answer, is how to manually and through signup forms apply the segmenting - tagging, custom properties or lists.

Right now I have the free CRM and it has a section (in a Contact's info) for List Membership.  Does this imply that the free CRM also has Marketing Hub?

Thanks.

Phil_Vallender

Custom Contact Lists ??

SOLVE

Hi @plevintampabay 

The free CRM does not automatically include the features of the Marketing Hub - but there is a free verison of the Marketing Hub you can activate. 

The easiest way to apply segmentation at the form is to use hidden properties with pre-selected values. How you do this varies with which platform you use to create forms. 

Hope this helps.

0 Upvotes