CRM

Giorgia
Participant

Creating self-referenced company property

SOLVE

Hi, 

I work with distributors and resellers, where resellers buy from distributors and I need to be able to track who buys from whom. 

This led me to want to add a property under "company" called "buys from". 

I want this to be a radio/drop down field with a list of all the companies in our database. I don't want to give people the option to write it freestyle as I'll end up having endless duplicates and spelling mistakes, making reporting impossible. 

However when I go in create new property > field type > Label > Load Options I seem to be able to choose between a few properties types to add to this field, but not the company name property, which is what I need.

Am I missing something? 

Thanks! 

Giorgia

1 Accepted solution
Josh
Solution
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Giorgia,

As @MFrankJohnson mentioned, this functionality doesn't exist yet. 

We accomplished something similar for a client that needed to track clients and suppliers and specifically which suppliers a client was purchasing from. In this instance, we created a multi-checkbox property that contained all potential suppliers. 

We also created some workflows that pulled that value from the contact record over to the company record...and in the opposite direction, to label this on the other contacts that exist at the company but did not have that property set yet.

I'd be happy to discuss this with you if it would help.

Josh 

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Josh
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @Giorgia,

As @MFrankJohnson mentioned, this functionality doesn't exist yet. 

We accomplished something similar for a client that needed to track clients and suppliers and specifically which suppliers a client was purchasing from. In this instance, we created a multi-checkbox property that contained all potential suppliers. 

We also created some workflows that pulled that value from the contact record over to the company record...and in the opposite direction, to label this on the other contacts that exist at the company but did not have that property set yet.

I'd be happy to discuss this with you if it would help.

Josh 

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

Giorgia
Participant

SOLVE

hi both, thanks a lot for confirming - I felt a little stupid there for a minute! 

I will resolve with creating a fixed list, which I will maintain until -hopefully- this feature is implemented! 

Best,

G

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Hey, we work with complex CRMs. If we don't feel 'stupid' at least once a day, we're not really working! haha 🙂

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

>>"self-referenced company property"

Unfortunately, HubSpot has no built-in facility to allow properties based on a Lookup Relationship -- i.e., fields limited to the values currently stored in another database object.

[We see this in more customizable CRMs like Salesforce.]

May be a good idea to suggest in the Ideas Forum. For now, the best solutions are a Single Line Text property (aka 'freestyle') or a pre-defined list which must be manually updated -- not scalable.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com