CRM

RapidFinancial
Participant

Create company or contact first?

SOLVE

So I was creating the company first, but when I go to create the contact I have to repeat entering in certain fields.

Should I be creating the contact first so I don't have to do this extra work?

I was also hoping the system would know that the company I just created was attached to the contact I'm in the middle of creating & filling in the rest of the data, but I don't think it is.

Thanks

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Instruction for turning the setting on can be found here: Automatically create and associate companies with contacts

This will create a company record when the domain in a new contact's email address contains a recognised company name. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@RapidFinancial I do things differently than @Phil_Vallender and @jennysowyrda.  My contacts do not usually have domain emails so for me the easiest way is to create the company and then add the contact.  If I am adding multiple contacts for the same company, I go back to the company to add the next person.

I love the way Phil and Jenny work, it is not the best for me in this situation. 

Phil_Vallender

SOLVE

Hi @RapidFinancial 

The company specific fields on a contact record are unrelated to those on the company record itself. They are there so that you can capture them via form, or enter them quickly along with the contact (similar to a Salesforce lead), prior to creating a company record. 

If you have HubSpot's automatic company creation and association feature turned on, I would recommend creating contacts first, as their email domain can drive the creation of companies and automatic population of some company properties, removing the need to put this information on the contact record at all. 

Hope this helps.

RapidFinancial
Participant

SOLVE

Sorry for the delay.

How do I turn on, "HubSpot's automatic company creation and association?"

So this will automatically create a company contact when this is turned on?

Thanks for the info. I'll create the contact first.

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Instruction for turning the setting on can be found here: Automatically create and associate companies with contacts

This will create a company record when the domain in a new contact's email address contains a recognised company name. 

Hope this helps.

0 Upvotes
RapidFinancial
Participant

SOLVE

Ok, turns out that was already turned on. Not sure when I turned it on, but I guess I'll just keep creating contacts.

Thanks

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @RapidFinancial,

I agree with @Phil_Vallender in regards to adding the contact first, as this can (in some cases) create the company for you, thus avoiding doing double work. 

Thanks,
Jenny