CRM

dwightbailey
Contributor

Create a workflow based on when a contact visits a page or completes a form

SOLVE

I would like to know how I create a workflow that sends an email notification to a sales repr when their contact(s) visit a web page and/or complete a web form.

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @dwightbailey,

This is currently not possible, no. HubSpot cannot make the association between the string/text in your Contact owner (use) field and an email address of a user.

If you 100% want to stick with your existing field, you could use the workaround below. I would not recommend the solution below because it might limit flexbility in the future. For each value of your dropdown select property Contact owner (use), you need to create a branch in a if/then branch in a workflow.

IF contact has viewed page OR submitted form

THEN check whether Contact owner (use) is Person 1, Person 2 or Person 3 in an if/then branch

IF Contact owner (use) is Person 1 THEN send internal email notification to person1@domain.com

IF Contact owner (use) is Person 2 THEN send internal email notification to person2@domain.com

IF Contact owner (use) is Person 3 THEN send internal email notification to person3@domain.com

You can see right away that this is more complex than migrating your Contact owner (use) information into a new HubSpot user property and using the workflow shown in the screenshot above.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @dwightbailey,

This is currently not possible, no. HubSpot cannot make the association between the string/text in your Contact owner (use) field and an email address of a user.

If you 100% want to stick with your existing field, you could use the workaround below. I would not recommend the solution below because it might limit flexbility in the future. For each value of your dropdown select property Contact owner (use), you need to create a branch in a if/then branch in a workflow.

IF contact has viewed page OR submitted form

THEN check whether Contact owner (use) is Person 1, Person 2 or Person 3 in an if/then branch

IF Contact owner (use) is Person 1 THEN send internal email notification to person1@domain.com

IF Contact owner (use) is Person 2 THEN send internal email notification to person2@domain.com

IF Contact owner (use) is Person 3 THEN send internal email notification to person3@domain.com

You can see right away that this is more complex than migrating your Contact owner (use) information into a new HubSpot user property and using the workflow shown in the screenshot above.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Phil_Vallender
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @dwightbailey 

You might not need to use workflows to achieve what you want:

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
dwightbailey
Contributor

SOLVE

Many thanks for this help. Appreciated.

However, I probably should have said, that we use a custom field to denote the contact owner - we don't use the default HubSpot owner field. So we have trouble with the default notifictions working. So, my thinking is to create a workflow that says if a contact visits/downloads, send an email to the person identofied in "custom field xyz".

Does this make sense?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @dwightbailey,

Is the custom field that you're using to denote the contact owner a HubSpot user property? You can double check by navigating to your Settings > Properties and searching for the property name:

custom.png

If yes (= if it says HubSpot user below the name, see screenshot above), then a workflow like the one below would work. For the Internal email notification, you can select the HubSpot user property you want this notification to be sent to:

custom-owner-notification.gif

(If your field is not a HubSpot user property (but, for example, a single line text field), you wouldn't be able to achieve what you're looking for. Your first step would be to migrate your owner information into a HubSpot user property. It's a field type just like multiple checkboxes or radio select.)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

TRichards
Contributor

SOLVE

Hello!

I have an issue similar to the person in this thread. We have contact owner and contact email under different properties.  Can you go further into the process of migrating? I know you can export-then-import data to do that to some extent, but what about when it's two fields that are interconnected, like owner and email

Is the goal t be making our sales team into Contacts?

What type of data would the info be, if it's not a text field?

Any extra info is helpful. Thank you!

0 Upvotes
CSmidt

SOLVE

What is the person visits the website multiple times.  Is there a way to send one email intead of multiple each time the contact returns to the website?  I have a delay in place of 1 hour, but even when that hour is up - will the internal email send onec for their multiple view of the webpage or will it send an email for each page view?

0 Upvotes
dwightbailey
Contributor

SOLVE

Hello and thanks.

The field isn't a HubSpot user field. Its the one named below:

Contact owner (use).JPG

Is it not posisble to set up a custom workflow that says "if a contact visits the website/downloads from a form, send an internal email to the stated contact owner (use)"

Thanks again,

Dwight.

0 Upvotes