CRM

Bob2245
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

Copying company properties to each new associated object record

So, I've been breaking my head about how to do this, but I can't figure it out. It seems like such a basic thing, but I can't find a solution.

Basically, I want to copy over a Company property value to a corresponding property each new custom object record associated with the company.

Specifically, this is about creating an 'Associated Company' property on a custom object record 'Trucks' for a truck dealership, to be able to display the company that the truck has been sold to in the Trucks CO table.

Here's what I've already tried:

1. CO-based workflow to copy from Company to Truck:

Bob2245_0-1645019462519.png

Doesn't work, because:

• Trigger won't re-trigger when truck's company changes (trucks can change hands)
  • You can't copy from an associated record to the enrolled record, only vice versa

2. Company-based workflow to copy from Company to Truck:

Bob2245_1-1645019694974.png

Doesn't work, because:

• Trigger won't re-trigger with each new truck associated, only on the first truck ever linked to the company. Obviously a company can buy multiple trucks.

Again, seems like a very basic thing but I can't figure it out. Am I missing something here?

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
DarianVretenar
Participant | Elite Partner

Hi @Bob2245 

Do you have HubOps? IF yes, then use CO-based WF: Create a cron job that will once a day copy the values.

Other solutions are:

1. Create a trigger to run the WF
2. HubSpot API

What do you think?

Kind regards,
Darian Vretenar

Bob2245

Yeah, I did think of that. But unfortunately no, we don't have Ops Hub for this particular client. Given that it's quite a basic thing, I was hoping not to have to get an entire Ops Hub license just for this (although there's plenty other use cases). Also want to avoid pitching an entire license upgrade midway through an implementation 😅

0 Upvotes
DarianVretenar

Do we have a deal that follows this process?

If you associate CO to Deal, then if we have a deal stage change as a trigger (CO already associated) - we can copy Company properties to Deal and then to CO.

In that case, each deal is unique and we can achieve what you need.

What to you think @Bob2245 ?

Bob2245

Hmm interesting. So like this?

1. Company workflow that triggers on Number of associated Deals

Bob2245_0-1645029272362.png

2. Deal workflow that triggers on deal stage change

Bob2245_1-1645029353094.png

Looks good on paper! You're correct in assuming that a Deal is always involved. It's not 100% airtight (sales rep has to remember to always attach truck to deal and deal to company, though we can probably make this part of the process pretty easily) but pretty close. Also, because it's dependent on deal stage change, it won't populate until that actually happens. But it's got potential! Going to explore this further.

I thought of another one in the meantime: 2 pingpong workflows that go like this:

Company Workflow 1. 

• Triggers when 'Trigger field X = 0 or unknown' - re-enrollment enabled
  • Waits X time (like 1 hour)
  • Copies Company name to Associated CO records
  • Sets Trigger field X to 1

Company Workflow 2.

• Triggers when 'Trigger field X = 1' - re-enrollment enabled
  • Waits X time
  • Copies Company name to Associated CO records
  • Sets Trigger field X to 0

These workflows alternate and force a copy of the company name to all associated CO records every X time. It's ugly, not instant and generates a lot of irrelevant workflow activity, but it gets the job done.

DarianVretenar

Hi @Bob2245 

Jaa, I understand.

There's isn't any property change when you associate CO to Company, so, no way to trigger that. And, CO properties can't be used for re-enrollment on Company based WF.

If the manual solution isn't an acceptable solution - what about Integromat? This is the only "cheap" solution? I can help you with it if you want..

Kind regards,
Darian

Bob2245

Hmm, kind of like Zapier. 

I can't tell from the Hubspot integration page, does Watch CRM Object support custom objects do you know?

0 Upvotes
DarianVretenar

@Bob2245 No, but HTTP request with Integormat can help. Been there already. 

0 Upvotes