CRM

SNicholson

Contacts

SOLVE

I am an insurance agent and was wondering the best way to manage multiple contacts per household. Do you have a separate contact for each in Hubspot or is their a way to have multiple contacts per a family contact?

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

Contacts

SOLVE

Hi @SNicholson 

Its a slightly tricky use case for any digital record keeping system, since data always needs to be deduplicate on something, and what is used to deduplicate is ideally unique for every single contact and human-readable. HubSpot deduplicates on email address but it's not unusual for private households to share email addresses. 

Ultimately, you will have a contact record for every unique email address you engage with. If these are at the same household you could use manually created company records to link them (automatic will not work due to the prevalence of gmail etc.)

If you already use companies for something else, then a custom object for household would be the next solution in my mind. 

Hope this helps?

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

AdamLPW
Solution
Key Advisor

Contacts

SOLVE

Hi @SNicholson,

Only on an Enterprise subscription.  In HS there are 4 object types: Contacts, Companies, Deals, and Tickets.  With an Enterprise subscription, you could create a Custom Object for e.g. "Household".

@Phil_Vallender's suggestion is your best bet: you can use manually-created Company objects for each household, which you can then use to group together the various contacts who live in that household.  If you didn't want to do this, the only other option (as Phil notes) would be to create a Custom Property called, for example, "Household", ensuring this property is completed for each contact.  This wouldn't, however, allow you to group Deals, etc., based on common household... you'd have to do some funky work with lists or reports, or export data to Excel or similar, to see this.  If all people in a household were in the same Company, HS is designed to allow you to see all deals for a company.

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Phil_Vallender
Solution

Contacts

SOLVE

Hi @SNicholson 

Its a slightly tricky use case for any digital record keeping system, since data always needs to be deduplicate on something, and what is used to deduplicate is ideally unique for every single contact and human-readable. HubSpot deduplicates on email address but it's not unusual for private households to share email addresses. 

Ultimately, you will have a contact record for every unique email address you engage with. If these are at the same household you could use manually created company records to link them (automatic will not work due to the prevalence of gmail etc.)

If you already use companies for something else, then a custom object for household would be the next solution in my mind. 

Hope this helps?

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
SNicholson

Contacts

SOLVE

Is there a way to associate the contacts like you can associate a contact to a business?

0 Upvotes
AdamLPW
Solution
Key Advisor

Contacts

SOLVE

Hi @SNicholson,

Only on an Enterprise subscription.  In HS there are 4 object types: Contacts, Companies, Deals, and Tickets.  With an Enterprise subscription, you could create a Custom Object for e.g. "Household".

@Phil_Vallender's suggestion is your best bet: you can use manually-created Company objects for each household, which you can then use to group together the various contacts who live in that household.  If you didn't want to do this, the only other option (as Phil notes) would be to create a Custom Property called, for example, "Household", ensuring this property is completed for each contact.  This wouldn't, however, allow you to group Deals, etc., based on common household... you'd have to do some funky work with lists or reports, or export data to Excel or similar, to see this.  If all people in a household were in the same Company, HS is designed to allow you to see all deals for a company.

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"